Induced drag and different wing types - parasitic vs. induced drag

sur
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: School project about induced drag - I do not have a wind tunnel - and a comparison between rectengular straight wing, C-wing, and box wing (not airfoils)

I want to know how to derive/ seperate induced drag from the parasite drag

So, I am making an experiment where I'm supposed to launch (in a fairly constant environment) model gliders with wing small aspect ratios and try to prove that box wings/ C- wings are the better option than straight wings. I have already designed a model with modular wings (symmetrical airfoil). I will measure the model's velocity and it's range.
How on earth would I differentiate between induced drag and parasite drag? Is there maybe a formula for that or do I need CFD software to calculate it or an easier option for those...?
If you have any ideas and/or ideas for improvement feel free to express them

Physics news on Phys.org
induced-600x359.jpg

After measuring the lift coefficient ##C_l## and drag coefficient ##C_d##, you can evaluate the induced drag ##C_{di}## and parasite drag ##C_{do}## this way:
$$C_{di} = \frac{C_l^2A}{\pi s^2 e}$$
$$C_{do} = C_d - C_{di}$$
source: https://www1.grc.nasa.gov/beginners-guide-to-aeronautics/induced-drag-coefficient/

• Informative
Likes berkeman, DeBangis21 and sur
What are box wings and C- wings?

Lnewqban said:
What are box wings and C- wings?
These are names for wing shapes:
box/ closed wing (source: Pinterest)
1705214237100.png

C-wing (source: Sciencedirect.com)
1705214795622.png

Likes Lnewqban
Thank you!

It seems that this is an act of balance among what you gain and what you lose with each configuration, assuming similar conditions.

Those two wing shapes try to reduce pressure bleed at the wing-tips, but increase area and corners, both feeding parasite drag, as well as additional weight that requires more lift, which increases induced drag.

For the box type, you have the additional problem of one plane interfering with the airflow of the other, as well as intentional different AOA for each for stall control (typical of traditional biplanes).

The internal structure of the box wing could be lighter than an equivalent monoplane thanks to the closed wingtips, while the opposite should apply to the extra weight and flexure of the C-wing.

As you see, there are many things to play with, while assuming similar travel velocity and useful load to move between two distant locations.

Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitic_drag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift-induced_drag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_curve

:cool:

Likes sur
You measure the drag force ##F_d## acting on your wing at a known velocity ##v## and then calculate your ##C_d##:
$$C_d = \frac{2F_d}{\rho Av^2}$$

Likes sur

1. What is induced drag and how does it differ from parasitic drag?

Induced drag is the drag created by the production of lift on a wing. It occurs as a byproduct of the generation of lift and is directly related to the wing's efficiency in producing lift. Parasitic drag, on the other hand, is the drag caused by the aircraft moving through the air and is primarily due to factors such as form drag, skin friction drag, and interference drag.

2. How do different wing types affect induced drag?

Different wing types can have varying effects on induced drag. For example, wings with a higher aspect ratio (long and narrow) tend to produce less induced drag compared to wings with a lower aspect ratio (short and wide). Additionally, wingtip devices such as winglets can help reduce induced drag by decreasing the size of the wingtip vortices.

3. Can you explain the concept of wingtip vortices in relation to induced drag?

Wingtip vortices are swirling air masses that form at the tips of a wing as a result of the pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces of the wing. These vortices increase induced drag by creating a downward flow of air behind the wing, which contributes to the overall drag force experienced by the aircraft.

4. How can pilots minimize induced drag during flight?

Pilots can minimize induced drag by flying at a higher airspeed, which reduces the angle of attack and the lift-induced drag. Additionally, maintaining a constant altitude and avoiding sharp turns can help minimize the formation of wingtip vortices and reduce induced drag.

5. What role does wing loading play in induced drag?

Wing loading, which is the weight of the aircraft divided by the wing area, affects induced drag by influencing the amount of lift generated by the wing. Higher wing loading results in higher induced drag, as the wing needs to produce more lift to support the aircraft's weight. Lower wing loading, on the other hand, can reduce induced drag by requiring less lift production from the wing.