1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation -> Behaviour near these singular points

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1

s3a

Differential Equation ---> Behaviour near these singular points

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem & Questions:
    (a) Determine the two singular points x_1 < x_2 of the differential equation
    (x^2 – 4) y'' + (2 – x) y' + (x^2 + 4x + 4) y = 0

(b) Which of the following statements correctly describes the behaviour of the differential equation near the singular point x_1?:
    A. All non-zero solutions are unbounded near x_1.
    B. At least one non-zero solution remains bounded near x_1 and at least one solution is unbounded near x_1.
    C. All solutions remain bounded near x_1.

(c) Which of the following statements correctly describes the behaviour of the differential equation near the singular point x_2?:
    A. All solutions remain bounded near x_2.
    B. At least one non-zero solution remains bounded near x_2 and at least one solution is unbounded near x_2.
    C. All non-zero solutions are unbounded near x_2.

Answers:
    (a) x_1 = –2 and x_2 = 2
    (b) C
    (c) B

2. Relevant equations
    Division by the function of x in front of the second order derivative.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to get x_1 and x_2 (by dividing both sides of the differential equation by the function of x in front of the second order
    derivative), but could someone please tell me why the multiple-choice parts are C and B, respectively? I don't get the reasoning/logic behind why those are the correct answers.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For part (b) you forgot to include option C (I assume it's all nonzero solutions remain bounded just from the pattern of the other options)

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3

s3a

Oops! Sorry, I corrected it now!

5. Jan 29, 2014 #4

s3a

I just wanted to say that, despite this thread being 15 days old, I am still interested in getting help, if someone is willing to help me out.

6. Jan 29, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Have look at the Frobenius method, i.e., expansion of solutions around the singular points in terms of generalized power series.

7. Jan 30, 2014 #6

s3a

Thanks for the answer, vanhees71, but could you please tell me what I would have to do, in order to answer the multiple choice questions, once I obtained the power series solution?

8. Feb 12, 2014 #7

s3a

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck.

So far, and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, I'm thinking that I need to use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence for each singular point, and analyze the inequalities obtained.

Is that much correct? If so, what do I do next? If not, could you please, at least, tell me how to get started, in words, and leave the algebra to me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted