Differential Equation book question

In summary, the question asks for the smallest number T such that |y(t)| < 0.1 for all t>T. In order to solve for T, the student will need to use Mathematica.
b2386

Homework Statement

[tex]y=e^{-t}Cos(t)+e^{-t}Sin(t)[/tex]

Find the smallest T such that |y(t)| < 0.1 for t > T

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is actually a second part to a differential equations problem, the equation above being my correct solution to a second order linear equation. Now, in my attempt to solve this part, I am stuck because I am not sure what T is (as opposed to t). You have all the info the book has given me so does anyone know what T may be referring to?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is perfectly clear. It means find the number T which satisfies the following properties:

i) forall t > T, |y(t)| < 0.1
ii) forall T' < T, there exists t > T' such that |y(t)| > 0.1

So it's like this: first, consider the set S = {t : |y(t)| < 0.1}. Now this is probably going to look like a bunch of intervals, the right-most one being infinitely long. So let's suppose S is like:

(-5, -4) U (0, 1) U (4,6) U (12, [itex]\infty[/itex])

The answer you'd want then would be 12. See because for all t > 12, t is in S. 13 is not the right answer because, although for all t > 13, t is in S, you could choose something lower than 13 with this property, namely anything between 12 and 13. Note also that 10 is not a good answer, because there are t > 10 not in S, e.g. 11. 5 is also not a good answer, because there are t > 5 not in S, again e.g. 11.

Now in your question, S is quite unlikely to be exactly

(-5, -4) U (0, 1) U (4,6) U (12, [itex]\infty[/itex])

but S, that is the set {t : |y(t)| < 0.1}, will be similar. Get the picture?

Ahh, it makes complete sense now. Thank you for your thorough explanation, AKG.

So basically, now I need to solve for the values of t that make y=0.1 and examine their behavior above and below the calculated values to determine the single correct value of T. From looking at the equation, it appears that it cannot be solved for t analytically and I will have to use Mathematica. Is this correct?

No analytical approach comes to mind, but that isn't to say there necessarily isn't one. The nature of your assignment will determine whether it's okay to use Mathematica or a program like it at this point.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent rates of change in a system.

What is the purpose of a differential equation book?

A differential equation book is used to teach and learn about differential equations and their applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It contains examples, exercises, and solutions to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, linear differential equations, and nonlinear differential equations. Each type has its own characteristics and methods of solving.

How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used to model and describe various phenomena in the natural and physical world, such as the growth of populations, the flow of fluids, and the movement of objects under the influence of forces. They are also used in engineering to design and analyze systems and in economics to study market dynamics.

What is the best way to approach learning differential equations?

Learning differential equations requires a strong understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts. It is important to practice solving problems and understanding the applications of differential equations in various fields. Working through examples and exercises in a differential equation book can help reinforce concepts and improve problem-solving skills.