1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation for concentration of gas in the atmosphere

1. Apr 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everyone, I'm currently studying an online course on climate science and am a bit overwhelmed by the calculus. I have studied calculus to second year of college but that was a while ago and I'm very rusty.

A few weeks ago I was a question to find the how long it would take for the concentration of a gas in the atmosphere to reduce by a given percentage. The answer was given, though steps were missing and I can't duplicate the result.

Variables
    E = emission rate [Tg/yr]
    C = the concentration of gas [Tg]
    [itex]τ[/itex] = lifetime of gas in atmospher [yr]

2. Relevant equations

(eq1)[itex]dC/dt = E - C/τ[/itex], where E = 0 (ie. emissions are stopped)

the solution to this differential equation is given as;

(eq2)[itex]C = C_0 exp(-t/τ)[/itex], and

(eq3)[itex]t = -τ log(C/C_0)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]dC/dt = - C/τ[/itex]

[itex]∫ -τ/C dC = ∫ dt [/itex]

[itex]-τ∫ 1/C dC = ∫ dt [/itex]

[itex]-τ log(C) = ∫ dt [/itex]

I can't figure out how to get eq2 from eq1. If anyone can fill me in on the intermediate steps from eq1 to eq2 to eq3, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2014 #2
    ##\int t## is ##t## plus some constant, which we write as ##- \log C_0## for convenience. That gives you eq. 3. Transition between eq. 2 and eq. 3 is not even calculus, it involves simple algebra and the relationship between ##\exp## and ##\log##.

4. Apr 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks voko

The main part I'm struggling to understand is the steps between eq1 and eq2. Looks like an integration on both sides, but I can't reproduce the steps to get there.

5. Apr 20, 2014 #4
    From eq1, you go to eq3, like you (almost) did, then you go to eq2 as I said in #2.

6. Apr 20, 2014 #5
    ok, thank you

7. Apr 20, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, with E= 0, this is [itex]dC/dt= -C/\tau[/itex] and, separating,
    [itex]dC/C= -dt/\tau[/itex]. Integrate both sides to get
    [itex]ln(C)= -t/\tau+ K[/itex] where K is the constant of integration.

Taking the exponential of both sides, [itex]e^{ln(C)}= C= e^{-t/\tau+ K}= e^Ke^{-t/tau}[/itex]. Let [itex]C_0= e^K[/itex] and you have the solution below.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted