Differential equation for concentration of gas in the atmosphere

In summary: C_0## for convenience. That gives you eq. 3. Transition between eq. 2 and eq. 3 is not even calculus, it involves simple algebra and the relationship between ##\exp## and ##\log##.Thanks voko
waaahboost

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I'm currently studying an online course on climate science and am a bit overwhelmed by the calculus. I have studied calculus to second year of college but that was a while ago and I'm very rusty.

A few weeks ago I was a question to find the how long it would take for the concentration of a gas in the atmosphere to reduce by a given percentage. The answer was given, though steps were missing and I can't duplicate the result.

Variables
E = emission rate [Tg/yr]
C = the concentration of gas [Tg]
[itex]τ[/itex] = lifetime of gas in atmospher [yr]

Homework Equations

(eq1)[itex]dC/dt = E - C/τ[/itex], where E = 0 (ie. emissions are stopped)

the solution to this differential equation is given as;

(eq2)[itex]C = C_0 exp(-t/τ)[/itex], and

(eq3)[itex]t = -τ log(C/C_0)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]dC/dt = - C/τ[/itex]

[itex]∫ -τ/C dC = ∫ dt [/itex]

[itex]-τ∫ 1/C dC = ∫ dt [/itex]

[itex]-τ log(C) = ∫ dt [/itex]

I can't figure out how to get eq2 from eq1. If anyone can fill me in on the intermediate steps from eq1 to eq2 to eq3, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
##\int t## is ##t## plus some constant, which we write as ##- \log C_0## for convenience. That gives you eq. 3. Transition between eq. 2 and eq. 3 is not even calculus, it involves simple algebra and the relationship between ##\exp## and ##\log##.

Thanks voko

The main part I'm struggling to understand is the steps between eq1 and eq2. Looks like an integration on both sides, but I can't reproduce the steps to get there.

From eq1, you go to eq3, like you (almost) did, then you go to eq2 as I said in #2.

ok, thank you

waaahboost said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I'm currently studying an online course on climate science and am a bit overwhelmed by the calculus. I have studied calculus to second year of college but that was a while ago and I'm very rusty.

A few weeks ago I was a question to find the how long it would take for the concentration of a gas in the atmosphere to reduce by a given percentage. The answer was given, though steps were missing and I can't duplicate the result.

Variables
E = emission rate [Tg/yr]
C = the concentration of gas [Tg]
[itex]τ[/itex] = lifetime of gas in atmospher [yr]

Homework Equations

(eq1)[itex]dC/dt = E - C/τ[/itex], where E = 0 (ie. emissions are stopped)
Okay, with E= 0, this is [itex]dC/dt= -C/\tau[/itex] and, separating,
[itex]dC/C= -dt/\tau[/itex]. Integrate both sides to get
[itex]ln(C)= -t/\tau+ K[/itex] where K is the constant of integration.

Taking the exponential of both sides, [itex]e^{ln(C)}= C= e^{-t/\tau+ K}= e^Ke^{-t/tau}[/itex]. Let [itex]C_0= e^K[/itex] and you have the solution below.

the solution to this differential equation is given as;

(eq2)[itex]C = C_0 exp(-t/τ)[/itex], and

(eq3)[itex]t = -τ log(C/C_0)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]dC/dt = - C/τ[/itex]

[itex]∫ -τ/C dC = ∫ dt [/itex]

[itex]-τ∫ 1/C dC = ∫ dt [/itex]

[itex]-τ log(C) = ∫ dt [/itex]

I can't figure out how to get eq2 from eq1. If anyone can fill me in on the intermediate steps from eq1 to eq2 to eq3, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Chris

1. What is a differential equation for the concentration of gas in the atmosphere?

A differential equation for the concentration of gas in the atmosphere is a mathematical equation that describes how the concentration of a gas changes over time due to various factors such as emissions, chemical reactions, and atmospheric processes.

2. How is a differential equation for concentration of gas in the atmosphere derived?

A differential equation for concentration of gas in the atmosphere is derived by considering the rate of change of the gas concentration with respect to time, and incorporating factors such as sources, sinks, and transport processes.

3. What are the main variables in a differential equation for concentration of gas in the atmosphere?

The main variables in a differential equation for concentration of gas in the atmosphere include time, gas concentration, emission rates, chemical reaction rates, and atmospheric transport processes.

4. How is a differential equation for concentration of gas in the atmosphere solved?

A differential equation for concentration of gas in the atmosphere can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, numerical methods, and analytical solutions for specific cases.

5. What are some applications of differential equations for concentration of gas in the atmosphere?

Differential equations for concentration of gas in the atmosphere are used in various fields such as atmospheric chemistry, air pollution modeling, climate change research, and environmental policy making to understand and predict changes in gas concentrations in the atmosphere.