1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation stability at critical point

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is the autonomous differential equation: x" - 2x' + 37x = 0

Solve the above DEQ and state whether the critical point (0,0) is stable, unstable, or semi-stable.

2. Relevant equations

Solution to the above DEQ is x = c1excos6x + c2exsin6x

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked out the solution using the quadratic formula and got roots 1[tex]\pm[/tex]6i. This gives you an [tex]\alpha[/tex] of 1 and a [tex]\beta[/tex] of 6, which yields the equation I put in part 2 above.

From there, I read that when you get a general solution in the form x = e[tex]\alpha[/tex]t(c1cos[tex]\beta[/tex]t + c2sin[tex]\beta[/tex]t) with [tex]\alpha[/tex] < 0 and [tex]\beta[/tex] [tex]\neq[/tex]0, then you have a spiral point.

My problem is I'm not sure how to classify the stability of the critical point (0,0).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's easy. Your characteristic roots have positive real part so (0, 0) is an unstable critical point. You can see why from your general solution. (0,0) (in the phase plane) is a critical point because x(t)= 0 for all t (so that x'(t)= 0 also) is itself a solution. It is an unstable critical point because if x is just slightly different from 0, that exponential means it gets larger and larger, moving rapidly away from (0,0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook