1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding critical points for phase planes

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    X'=x-y^2 Y'=x^2 -xy -2x

2. Relevant equations
    Find the critical point of this system.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know one point is (0,0).
    When I tried it I got sqrt(x)= 2 and sqrt(x)= 1 but the point (1,1) doesn't fit later parts of the question. I'm also aware that since a sqrt can have positive and negative values then (4, -2) can also equal zero. Am I missing something obvious?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Frankly, I don't know what you mean by "When I tried it I got sqrt(x)= 2..." When you tried what? And why write "sqrt(x)= 2" rather than "x= 4"? In any case, a critical point of the system will be where x'= x- y^2= 0 and y'= x^2- xy- 2x= 0. From the first equation, x= y^2. Replacing x with y^2 in the second equation gives y^4- y^3- 2y^2= y^2(y^2- y- 1)= y^2(y+ 1)(y- 2)= 0.

4. Dec 3, 2015 #3
    Sorry by 'try it' I meant solved for zero and I used sqrt(x) because I was trying to solve it in x instead of y. Your way makes much more sense and solved the problem! Thanks a million

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are two things wrong with this sentence.
    1) By definition, the square root of a nonnegative number represents a single value. For example, ##\sqrt{4} = + 2##. Period. You are mistaken to think that ##\sqrt{4} = \pm 2##.
    2) "then (4, -2) can also equal zero." -- No. (4, -2) is a point in the plane. It cannot equal a single number such as zero.

BTW, (4, -2) is also NOT a solution of the equations below.
    Set both X' and Y' to 0 and solve the resulting equations simultaneously.
    IOW, solve
    ##x - y^2 = 0##
    ##x^2 - xy - 2x = 0##
    It helps to use one of the equations to substitute in the other.
    There are three solutions, one of which is (0, 0), which you already found. (1, 1) is NOT a solution, nor is (4, -2)..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted