Differential Equation- Undetermined Coefficient

Lastly, the system may have just made a mistake. In summary, the conversation is about finding a particular solution to a given differential equation. Various attempts and methods have been tried, but the correct solution has not been found. There is a possibility of a glitch in the system or a mistake made by the system. Further checking and analysis is needed to find the correct solution.
jrsweet

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution to the differential equation
2 y'' - 1 y' - 1 y = -1 t^2 + 2 t + 3 e^{4 t} .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this problem many times. I think I am having trouble assuming what the general form is.

assume yp=(At+B)^2+Ce^(4t)=(A^2)(t^2)+2ABt+(B^2)+Ce^(4t)
yp'=2(A^2)t + 2AB + 4Ce^(4t)
yp''=2(A^2)+16Ce^(4t)

So, 2yp''-yp'-yp= 4(A^2)+32Ce^(4t)-2(A^2)t-2AB-4Ce^(4t)-(A^2)(t^2)-2ABt-(B^2)-Ce^(4t)

So, 27Ce^(4t)=3e^(4t) => C=(1/9)
-(A^2)(t^2)=-t^2 => A=1
t(-2(A^2)+2AB) = 2 => B=2
4(A^2)-2AB-(B^2)=0 ... but it doesn't work.

I have tried this problem multiple times in multiple different ways this being my last attempt. It's for an online homework and I can't seem to get the right answer, although I feel like I do it right every time...

Physics news on Phys.org
jrsweet said:

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution to the differential equation
2 y'' - 1 y' - 1 y = -1 t^2 + 2 t + 3 e^{4 t} .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this problem many times. I think I am having trouble assuming what the general form is.

assume yp=(At+B)^2+Ce^(4t)=(A^2)(t^2)+2ABt+(B^2)+Ce^(4t)
Try this instead for your particular solution:
yp = A + Bt + Ct2 + De4t
jrsweet said:
yp'=2(A^2)t + 2AB + 4Ce^(4t)
yp''=2(A^2)+16Ce^(4t)

So, 2yp''-yp'-yp= 4(A^2)+32Ce^(4t)-2(A^2)t-2AB-4Ce^(4t)-(A^2)(t^2)-2ABt-(B^2)-Ce^(4t)

So, 27Ce^(4t)=3e^(4t) => C=(1/9)
-(A^2)(t^2)=-t^2 => A=1
t(-2(A^2)+2AB) = 2 => B=2
4(A^2)-2AB-(B^2)=0 ... but it doesn't work.

I have tried this problem multiple times in multiple different ways this being my last attempt. It's for an online homework and I can't seem to get the right answer, although I feel like I do it right every time...
For your general solution, you'll need the particular solution + the solution to the homogeneous problem 2y'' - y' - y = 0. The solution to the homogeneous problem will be yh = c1er1t + c2er2t for some constants r1 and r2 that you need to find.

I tried that as well:

yp=A+Bt+Ct^2+De^(4t)
yp'=B+2Ct+4De^(4t)
yp''=2C+16De^(4t)

2yp''-yp'-yp= 4C+32De^(4t)-B-2Ct-4De^(4t)-A-Bt-Ct^2-De^(4t)
= 27De^(4t)-Ct^2-2Ct-Bt-A-B-4C

So, 27De^(4t)=3e^(4t)
D= (1/9)

-Ct^2=-t^2
C=1

-2Ct-Bt=2t
-2(1)-B=2
B=-4

-A-B-4C=0
-A+4-4(1)=0
A=0

SOOoooo... yp=t^2-4t+(1/9)e^(3t)

What is wrong with thisss?! I don't get it. It's getting frustrating.

Someone shed some light if you could.

jrsweet said:
I tried that as well:

yp=A+Bt+Ct^2+De^(4t)
yp'=B+2Ct+4De^(4t)
yp''=2C+16De^(4t)

2yp''-yp'-yp= 4C+32De^(4t)-B-2Ct-4De^(4t)-A-Bt-Ct^2-De^(4t)
= 27De^(4t)-Ct^2-2Ct-Bt-A-B-4C
This should be "+ 4C".

So, 27De^(4t)=3e^(4t)
D= (1/9)

-Ct^2=-t^2
C=1

-2Ct-Bt=2t
-2(1)-B=2
B=-4

-A-B-4C=0
-A+4-4(1)=0
A=0
-A- B+ 4C= 0
-A+ 4+ 4(1)= 0
A= 8

SOOoooo... yp=t^2-4t+(1/9)e^(3t)

What is wrong with thisss?! I don't get it. It's getting frustrating.

Someone shed some light if you could.

I already tried that answer as well... It's a no go. There must be a glitch in the system or something...

Then
1. Make sure the problem you worked is the same one that was given.
2. If it is, check your particular solution. It should be true that 2yp'' - yp' - y = -t2 + t + 3e4t. If this equation is an identity, then you have found what the problem asked for. If the system says different, then you have a good case to make that it is wrong. Assuming that the system gives an answer, you should then be able to show that its particular solution is NOT a solution of the given differential equation.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe how a system changes over time by relating the rate of change of a variable with its current value.

2. What is an undetermined coefficient?

An undetermined coefficient is a constant or coefficient in a differential equation that is not known and needs to be determined in order to find a particular solution. It is typically denoted by a capital letter such as A, B, or C.

3. How do you solve a differential equation using undetermined coefficients?

The process of solving a differential equation using undetermined coefficients involves assuming a particular form for the solution and plugging it into the equation. The coefficients of the assumed form are then determined by equating them to the corresponding coefficients in the original equation. The resulting equation can then be solved to find the values of the coefficients.

4. What are some common forms of undetermined coefficients?

Some common forms of undetermined coefficients include polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. The form chosen depends on the type of differential equation and the type of solution expected.

5. Are there any limitations to using undetermined coefficients to solve differential equations?

Yes, the method of undetermined coefficients can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also requires that the non-homogeneous term (the term not containing derivatives) be a linear combination of the assumed form and its derivatives. Additionally, undetermined coefficients may not work for all types of initial or boundary conditions.