1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation x''[t]+2x[t]+5[t]=sin(t)

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    Solving a differential equation, x''[t]+2x[t]+5[t]=sin(t).
    assumed that f=C Exp[it], and substituting into the equation, i found C=(4-2i)/20, but i don't understand why the solution says that it will become 1/5 Sint -1/10 Cost instead of 1/5 Cost-1/10 Sint.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2
    so we have x''+2x'+5x=sin(t) , you didn't write it like this but i figured this is what you meant and this is how i got the answer.
    then we say x=Ae^(it) and then x'=iAe^(it) then x''=-Ae^(it) , then we plug these in and solve for A. then multiply and divide by the complex conjugate. and then we take the imaginary part because we started with sin(t) , which is the imaginary part of Eulers formula.
    im guessing you took the real part.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    Sorry, i don't get it. When we are plugging it the equations, we write -Ae^(it)+2iAe^(it)+5Ae^(it)=e^(it), right? coz sin is the imaginary part of e^(it). And we solved that A=1/(4+2i), multiplying by its complex conjugate gives (4-2i)/20. and then i don't know how it gets to 1/5Sin[t]- 1/10 Cos[t].

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

I cannot say where you went wrong as you did not show steps. You should have got
    C=(-1+2i)/20
    C*=(-1-2i)/20
    where * is complex conjugation then a particular solution is

(C+C*)cos(t)+(C-C*)sin(t)

note that in general (and here)

Re(C) cos(t)+Im(C) sin(t)

is not a particular solution

Edited to add: I think you used another convention for C, using your convention for C
    Im(C) cos(t)+Re(C) sin(t)
    is a particular solution, you probably just switched them

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. Oct 23, 2011 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Right so we know

(D2+2D+5)Cei t=ei t
    and conclude

sin(t)=Im[ei t]
    =Im[(D2+2D+5)Cei t]
    =(D2+2D+5)Im[Cei t]
    =(D2+2D+5)(Im[C]cos(t)+Re(C)sin(t))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook