Differential equations (application)

In summary, the student is struggling with the homework and asks for help. The summary states that the student is trying to solve an equation of the form dx/dt= kx- 100 and is confused.
delsoo

Homework Statement

hi, i have difficulties in this question... can you teach me how to get the ans please... i don't have the ans . this involved differential equations

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0129~2[1].jpg
    DSC_0129~2[1].jpg
    26 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC_0129~3~2[1].jpg
    DSC_0129~3~2[1].jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
So... Quick note for the beginning step of the problem. You've defined x as the number of rabbits at a given time. But, remember, x is a function of t - x changes with time. You correctly set up the differential equation (i.e. dx(t)/dt=kx(t) ), but just stare at that real quick and see what it tells you. You have a function of t whose derivative with respect to t is just the same function multiplied by k. What function has the property that when you differentiate it, you get back the same thing, multiplied by a constant?

How should o proceed then??

First you are told that the reproduction rate of the rabbits is proportional to the number of rabbits. Yes, that is the same as dx/dt= kx. You can use the fact that the number of rabbits doubled in 5 years (60 months) to determine k.

But then you are told that "an outbreak of a certain disease caused the death of 100 rabbits per month". I see that you have let "y" be the "number of deaths". Since that is constant at 100 per month, I wouldn't do that. Rather, I would say, as long as t is the time measured in months, dx/dt= kx- 100. And, since we are told, at the time this disease began the rabbits had "doubled to 10000", I would take t= 0 at the time the disease began and x(0)= 10000, not 5000.

Solve that equation for x(t). Then, since you are asked for the number of rabbits two years after the outbreak of the disease, and t is in months, find x(24).

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
First you are told that the reproduction rate of the rabbits is proportional to the number of rabbits. Yes, that is the same as dx/dt= kx. You can use the fact that the number of rabbits doubled in 5 years (60 months) to determine k.

But then you are told that "an outbreak of a certain disease caused the death of 100 rabbits per month". I see that you have let "y" be the "number of deaths". Since that is constant at 100 per month, I wouldn't do that. Rather, I would say, as long as t is the time measured in months, dx/dt= kx- 100. And, since we are told, at the time this disease began the rabbits had "doubled to 10000", I would take t= 0 at the time the disease began and x(0)= 10000, not 5000.

Solve that equation for x(t). Then, since you are asked for the number of rabbits two years after the outbreak of the disease, and t is in months, find x(24).

do u mean this?

Attachments

• DSC_0131[1].jpg
    DSC_0131[1].jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 352
HallsofIvy said:

do u mean this? i have redo the question...

Attachments

• DSC_0132~2[1].jpg
    DSC_0132~2[1].jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 362
No, I don't mean either of those. In the last you have the equation dx/dt= kx when I told you that you that the equation should be dx/dt= kx- 100 (with t measured in months). In the first, you start with the equation dx/dt= kx- 100 but then have "dx/dt= (1/5) ln 2(10000)- 100(24)". I don't know where you got that!

Do you know how to solve an equation of the form dx/dt= kx- 100?

sorry i may i know how to solve it please? i'd been thinking of this quite long . this is driving me crazy!

1. What is the purpose of differential equations in real-life applications?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model real-life phenomena and predict how they will change over time.

2. What are some examples of real-life applications of differential equations?

Some common examples include using differential equations to model population growth, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as finance to model stock prices and in epidemiology to track the spread of diseases.

3. How are differential equations solved in real-life applications?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on their type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. In some cases, differential equations can also be solved using computer software.

4. How accurate are the solutions obtained from differential equations in real-life applications?

The accuracy of solutions obtained from differential equations depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and the assumptions made in the model. In some cases, real-life data may not perfectly fit the model, leading to some degree of error. However, with the right techniques and tools, solutions can be refined and improved to better match real-life observations.

5. How do differential equations help in predicting future behavior of a system?

By using differential equations, we can model the behavior of a system over time and make predictions about its future behavior. This can be helpful in making decisions and understanding the long-term effects of various factors on a system. However, it is important to note that differential equations are based on assumptions and simplifications, so their predictions may not always be accurate.