1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations (application)

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

hi, i have difficulties in this question... can you teach me how to get the ans please... i dont have the ans . this involved differential equations

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2
    So... Quick note for the beginning step of the problem. You've defined x as the number of rabbits at a given time. But, remember, x is a function of t - x changes with time. You correctly set up the differential equation (i.e. dx(t)/dt=kx(t) ), but just stare at that real quick and see what it tells you. You have a function of t whose derivative with respect to t is just the same function multiplied by k. What function has the property that when you differentiate it, you get back the same thing, multiplied by a constant?

4. Apr 24, 2014 #3
    How should o proceed then??

5. Apr 24, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First you are told that the reproduction rate of the rabbits is proportional to the number of rabbits. Yes, that is the same as dx/dt= kx. You can use the fact that the number of rabbits doubled in 5 years (60 months) to determine k.

But then you are told that "an outbreak of a certain disease caused the death of 100 rabbits per month". I see that you have let "y" be the "number of deaths". Since that is constant at 100 per month, I wouldn't do that. Rather, I would say, as long as t is the time measured in months, dx/dt= kx- 100. And, since we are told, at the time this disease began the rabbits had "doubled to 10000", I would take t= 0 at the time the disease began and x(0)= 10000, not 5000.

Solve that equation for x(t). Then, since you are asked for the number of rabbits two years after the outbreak of the disease, and t is in months, find x(24).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  6. Apr 24, 2014 #5
    do u mean this?

Attached Files:

7. Apr 26, 2014 #6
    do u mean this? i have redo the question...

Attached Files:

8. Apr 26, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I don't mean either of those. In the last you have the equation dx/dt= kx when I told you that you that the equation should be dx/dt= kx- 100 (with t measured in months). In the first, you start with the equation dx/dt= kx- 100 but then have "dx/dt= (1/5) ln 2(10000)- 100(24)". I don't know where you got that!

Do you know how to solve an equation of the form dx/dt= kx- 100?

9. Apr 28, 2014 #8
    sorry i may i know how to solve it please? i'd been thinking of this quite long . this is driving me crazy!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted