Differential equations: Elimination of arbitrary constants

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the differential equation of ln y = ax^2 + bx + c by eliminating the arbitrary constants a, b and c. The suggested method is to take the exponential of both sides and use differentiation to simplify the equation. However, there is some difficulty in dealing with the coefficients of a and b. Another approach is suggested, where the equations are divided by y and solved for a and b. It is also suggested to follow pasmith's hint, which may be a simpler solution.
JasonHathaway

Homework Statement

Find the differential equation of ln y = ax^2 + bx + c by eliminating the arbitrary constants a, b and c.

Homework Equations

Wrosnkian determinant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved a similar problem (y=ax^2+bx+c --> y'''=0), but couldn't do the same with this one.
All what I could is taking the exponent of both sides --> y=e^(ax^2 + bx + c).

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see a DE...

I think this is the calc form of Jeopardy ... you are given the solution to a DE, and you have to find the DE.

Taking the exponential of both sides looks promising - you can use you knowledge of how powers combine to simplify it further or investigate what happens as you differentiate it.

note. y=e^x comes from y'=y

JasonHathaway said:

Homework Statement

Find the differential equation of ln y = ax^2 + bx + c by eliminating the arbitrary constants a, b and c.

Homework Equations

Wrosnkian determinant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved a similar problem (y=ax^2+bx+c --> y'''=0), but couldn't do the same with this one.
All what I could is taking the exponent of both sides --> y=e^(ax^2 + bx + c).

Does it not follow from [itex]\ln y = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex] and [tex]
\frac{d^3}{dx^3}(ax^2 + bx + c) = 0[/tex] that [tex]
\frac{d^3}{dx^3}(\ln y) = 0?[/tex] Some would regard that as an adequate ODE for [itex]y[/itex]; others might insist that you expand the left hand side and re-arrange the result into the form [tex]
y''' = F(y, y', y'').
[/tex]

Last edited:
I'm using a method in which I differentiate depending on the number of constants. So, in this case I shall differentiate three times.

[itex]y=e^{ax^{2}+bx+c}[/itex]
[itex]y'=e^{ax^{2}+bx+c} (2ax+b)[/itex]
[itex]y''=e^{ax^{2}+bx+c} (2ax^{2}+4axb+b^{2}+2a)[/itex]
[itex]y'''=e^{ax^{2}+bx+c} (4a^{2}x^{3}+8^{2}x^{2}b+2axb^{2}+4a^{2}x+2ax^{2}b+4axb^{2}+b^{3}+2ab)[/itex]

And then I shall put the coefficients of a, b and c in Wrosnkian and then find determinant.

[itex]\begin{matrix}
y & * & * & * \\
y' & * & * & * \\
y'' & * & * & *\\
y''' & * & * & *
\end{matrix}[/itex]

Where the stars (*) are the coefficients. And that my problem right now, in some terms of y'' and y''' there are a and b together. How can I deal with it?

First check if the equations are correct.

Note that you do not have a linear system of equations for a,b,c.
The equations can be divided by y so the exponential factors cancel, and there are three equations to solve.
[tex]y'/y=2ax+b[/tex]
[tex]y''/y=4a^2x^{2}+4axb+b^{2}+2a[/tex]

y'''/y=...

Isolate b from the first one, substitute for b into the second one, and isolate a. Substitute a and b in terms of y'/y and y"/y into the third one.

But it is much simpler to follow pasmith's hint.

ehild

Last edited:

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve the derivatives of an unknown function. They are used to describe various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the elimination of arbitrary constants in differential equations?

The elimination of arbitrary constants is a technique used to solve differential equations by finding a particular solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. This allows us to eliminate the arbitrary constants that arise when solving the general solution of a differential equation.

Why is the elimination of arbitrary constants important?

The elimination of arbitrary constants allows us to find a unique solution to a differential equation that satisfies the given initial conditions. This is important because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a system.

What are some common methods for eliminating arbitrary constants in differential equations?

Some common methods for eliminating arbitrary constants include substitution, separation of variables, and variation of parameters. These methods involve manipulating the equation to remove the arbitrary constants and find a particular solution.

Can arbitrary constants be completely eliminated from a differential equation?

No, it is not always possible to completely eliminate arbitrary constants from a differential equation. In some cases, the arbitrary constants may represent important physical quantities that cannot be eliminated. However, we can still find a particular solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.