1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations - Find equation of line

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A curve passing through (3,-2) has a slope given by (x^2 + y^2)/(y^3 - 2xy). Find the equation of the curve.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was to plug in the points (3,-2) into the slope equation and plug them into the line equation (y - y1) = m(x - x1). Is that wrong? Seemed too easy for it to be a problem for differential equations..

So, I found that i could make the slope equation into an exact equation and solved for it.
    I found that the answer i get is:
    with c = -17
    f(x,y) = x^3/3 + xy^2 - y^4/4 - 17
    However that is not the equation of the curve. Is that the equation of the tangent line at (3,-2)?
    I am stuck at this point, I am pretty sure I am done with 90% of the work, but I can't seem to figure out the equation of the curve from here on.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you are pretty close, but you faltered a bit at the end.

The equation you were solving looked something like this:
    Fx dx + Fy dy, where Fx = x2 + y2 and Fy = -y3 + 2xy

The solution to the equation above with the partials is F(x, y) = C, so you should have gotten (1/3)x3 - (1/4)y4 + xy2 = C.

Substitute y(3) = -2 into the equation above to find the constant C.

4. Jun 27, 2010 #3
    Yes I did that, realized that C = 17 (not negative). But I am still puzzled, what is the equation of the curve?

5. Jun 28, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

(1/3)x3 - (1/4)y4 + xy2 = 17.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook