Differential Equations, implicit equation solving

In summary, the implicit solution of -4xy3 + 4xy3sin(x) = -1 on the interval (0, pi/2) is represented by the differential equation dy/dx = cos(x) - 4/(-3y3). To find this equation, differentiate both sides of the implicit equation with respect to x.
theown1

Homework Statement

(b) Find the differential equation for which –4xy3 + 4xy3sin(x) = –1 is an implicit solution on the interval (0, pi/2). Write your answer in the form dy/dx = f (x,y) where f (x, y) depends on both x and y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure on how to go about solving for the differential equation after been given the implicit form. So farI got

dy/dx= cos(x)-4/(-3y3)
which I don't think is right, and

I'm not sure where to start?

(4xy3)(sin(x)-1)=-1

4y3=-1/[x(sin(x)-1]
and then do I take the derivative of this ^ to get my answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
But the question is not even asking you to solve the equation you get; you only need to get an equation whose implicit solution is the given function. If you differentiate both sides of the given equation with respect to x (as I assume you did), you should get the required answer.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that contains one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to describe relationships between the variables in a system and can help to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. What is the difference between explicit and implicit equations?

An explicit equation is one where the dependent variable is written explicitly in terms of the independent variable. In contrast, an implicit equation is one where the dependent variable is not written explicitly and may require solving for the unknown variable.

3. How do you solve an implicit equation?

Solving an implicit equation involves using algebraic techniques to isolate the unknown variable on one side of the equation. This may require several steps such as factoring, expanding, or using inverse operations. In some cases, it may also involve using numerical methods or software to approximate a solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model physical systems like the motion of objects, the growth of populations, or the flow of fluids. They are also used in financial modeling, control systems, and many other areas.

5. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. Other methods such as power series, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods can also be used depending on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.