1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations: Non-homogeneous Series Expansion

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y'' + y' + y = 1 + x + x2

2. Relevant equations

y = Ʃ CN*xN N starts at 0
    y' = Ʃ N*CN*x(N-1) N starts at 1
    y'' = Ʃ N*(N-1)*CN*x(N-2) N starts at 2

3. The attempt at a solution[/]
    I know how solve the equations using series when the equation would equal to 0. My main question about using series on a non-homogeneous differential equation is whether or not the varialbes on the right side have the Cx coefficients? Or would they be paired up with the x, x2, etc? I think I need some quick clarification on this.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Cn's only appear in your expressions for y and its derivatives. But you must take the powers of x on the other side into account for your recursion formulas. I assume you know that series isn't the easiest way for this problem.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Thanks for clearing that up. The instructor covered only homogenous problems, and when I ran into one of these I was not entirely sure how to solve it with series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook