Differential Equations - power series method

In summary, the given function is a second order homogeneous differential equation with initial conditions of y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = -2. By assuming the power series form of the function and using the given recurrence relation, the function can be simplified to y(x) = e-2x, which satisfies the initial conditions. This assumption is valid given the original power series and the form of y'(x).
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

Solve:

y'' + y' - 2y = 0

y(0) = 1
y'(0) = -2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found:

http://image.cramster.com/answer-board/image/cramster-equation-200942414569633761817696516250247.gif

So the recurrence relation is:

http://image.cramster.com/answer-board/image/cramster-equation-20094241457286337618184812037502167.gif

for n = 0:

http://image.cramster.com/answer-board/image/cramster-equation-20094241458446337618192469850005024.gif

Now here's my question. Can I assume at this point that:

c0 = y(0) = 1
and c1 = y ' (0) = -2

?

This would allow me to have a numerical value for each cn.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Think about what your original power series for y(x) looked like. All the terms except the first had nonzero powers of x, so if x = 0, you have y(0) = c0. Then, think about what y'(x) looks like. Same idea for c1.

Thanks Mark. I was able to solve this by making the above assumption getting y(x) = e-2x I just wasn't sure if I was permitted to make that assumption.

What is the power series method for solving differential equations?

The power series method is a technique used to solve differential equations by expressing the solution as a series of powers of a variable. This method is particularly useful for solving non-linear differential equations.

When is the power series method appropriate to use?

The power series method is most appropriate to use when the differential equation cannot be solved using other standard techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. It is also useful for finding approximate solutions to non-linear differential equations.

What are the steps involved in using the power series method?

The following are the general steps for using the power series method:

1. Assume a power series solution for the differential equation.
  2. Substitute the power series into the differential equation and equate coefficients of like powers.
  3. Solve for the coefficients by setting up a recurrence relation.
  4. Find the radius of convergence of the power series.
  5. If the radius of convergence is greater than the domain of interest, the power series is a valid solution. Otherwise, the solution may only be an approximation.

What are some common challenges when using the power series method?

Some common challenges when using the power series method include:

• Difficulty in finding a suitable power series solution
  • The recurrence relation may be difficult to solve, leading to a complex solution
  • The radius of convergence may be too small, limiting the accuracy of the solution

Are there any limitations to the power series method?

Yes, the power series method may not be applicable to all types of differential equations. It is most useful for solving non-linear differential equations and may not work for all linear differential equations. Additionally, the radius of convergence may limit the accuracy of the solution, making it only suitable for approximate solutions.