1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations power series method

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

using the power series method (centered at t=0) y'+t^3y = 0 find the recurrence relation

2. Relevant equations

y= [tex]\sum a_{n}t^{n}[/tex] from n=0 to infinity
    y'= [tex]\sum na_{n}t^{n-1}[/tex] from n=1 to infinity

3. The attempt at a solution
    I went through and solved by putting the values from b into the equation and i got down to this:
    a[tex]_{1}[/tex]+2a[tex]_{2}[/tex]t+3a[tex]_{3}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]+[tex]\sum[na_{n}[/tex]+a[tex]_{n-4}][/tex]t[tex]^{n-1}[/tex] = 0

the 1 2 and 3 should be subscripted on a

I understand how to get an which i think i got right... i got a[tex]_{n}[/tex] = -a[tex]_{n-4}[/tex]/n whre n >= 4

But I don't understand what i do with the other part.. the a[tex]_{1}[/tex]+2a[tex]_{2}[/tex]t+3a[tex]_{3}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    Do i set it to 0 and solve for something? or do i set each individual component to 0. If i do ti this way and i find the power series solution by going through values of n until i find a pattern they all end up being 0 which can't be right. I'm completely lost.

Please let me know, this is due tomorrow and I have everything done except I don't understand what to do with this one. I just need to know what to do with that part, I can do the rest.

Thank you so much

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're right. You set the first three terms to zero, so you get [itex]a_1=a_2=a_3=0[/itex]. The only non-zero terms in your power series will therefore be for n=0, 4, 8, ....

This differential equation is separable, so you can find the solution in closed form. Expand it as a series and see if it matches what the series solution seems to be giving you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook