1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations, Separable, Simplification of answer

1. Jun 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I believe I have solved this differential equation, yet do not know how the book arrived at it's answer...

Solve the differential equation in its explicit solution form.

question.png

The answer the book gives is...

answer.png

2. Relevant equations

Separable Differential Equation

3. The attempt at a solution

dy/dx = x(x^2+1)/(4y^3)

(4y^3)dy = (x^3+x)dx

∫(4y^3)dy = ∫(x^3+x)dx

y^4 = 1/4x^4 + 1/2x^2 + c

(initial condition, y(0) = -1/sqrt(2))

(-1/sqrt(2))^(4) = 0 + 0 + c

C = -1/4

y^4 = 1/4x^4 + 1/2x^2 - 1/4

y = (1/4x^4 + 1/2x^2 - 1/4)^(1/4)

-----------

I've experimented with simplifying this a bit and found a few other ways to express it, but nothing like what the book has written as the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Your sign on C is wrong.

##(\frac{x^4}{4}+\frac{x^2}{2} + \frac 14 ) = (\frac{x^2}{2} + \frac 12 )^2 ##

4. Jun 29, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First. You made a mistake in finding C. What is (-1/sqrt(2))4 ? Fixing that will allow some factoring in the resulting expression.

5. Jun 29, 2015 #4
    Oh wow, I don't think I would have seen that factor regardless. Thank you though. That helped a lot.

6. Jun 29, 2015 #5
    Thank you, I understand now. In regards to the -, out front the answer from the book, I understand that comes from the square root, but how do they determine whether to go with the - or + solution. I haven't learned intervals of validity within the book yet...

7. Jun 29, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

The radical implies the positive. Your initial condition forces the negative choice.

8. Jul 4, 2015 #7
    Before rejecting an answer, you should plug it into the diff eq and see if it works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted