Differential Equations - Simple Harmonic Oscillation

In summary, the given equation y''(t)+(k/m)*y = 0 represents simple harmonic oscillation. To find solutions, we solve for y' and y'' and plug them into the equation. From this, we find that y(t)=cos(Beta*t) is a solution when Beta = sqrt(k/m). The period of this solution is T = 2*pi / Beta. The solution curve in the yv-plane is an ellipse stretching in the v direction, with max and min points at y = 0, v = +/- sqrt(k/m) and v = 0, y = +/- 1. The direction of the phase field can be determined by looking at the rate of change in y at different points
twiztidmxcn

Homework Statement

Consider y''(t)+(k/m)*y = 0 for simple harmonic oscillation

A) Under what conditions on Beta is y(t)=cos(Beta*t) a solution?

B) What is the period of this solution?

C) Sketch the solution curve in the yv-plane associated with this solution (Hint: y^2 + (v/Beta)^2)

For A, I had:

dy/dt = v

dv/dt = -(k/m)*y

Found y' and y''

y'(t) = -Beta*sin(Beta*t) y''(t)=-Beta^2*cos(Beta*t)

Plugged those into the given equation and found Beta = +/- sqrt(k/m)

y(t) = cos (+/-sqrt(k/m)*t) -> answers for A

For B, I found the period to be T = 2*pi / Beta

For C, I found that y^2 + (v/Beta)^2 = cos^2(Beta*t) + Beta^2*sin^2(Beta*t)/Beta^2

My problem now is drawing this. I think, from remembering equations of shapes, that this is an ellipse, stretching in the v direction.

I am not sure, but I think the max and min points of the ellipse are:
y = 0, v = +/- sqrt(k/m)
v = 0, y = +/- 1

I also think that the direction of the field is counter-clockwise.

I don't know if part B and C were done totally right and am a bit confused about finding the direction of the phase field/solution.

-twiztidmxcn

Physics news on Phys.org
twiztidmxcn said:

Homework Statement

Consider y''(t)+(k/m)*y = 0 for simple harmonic oscillation

A) Under what conditions on Beta is y(t)=cos(Beta*t) a solution?

B) What is the period of this solution?

C) Sketch the solution curve in the yv-plane associated with this solution (Hint: y^2 + (v/Beta)^2)

For A, I had:

dy/dt = v

dv/dt = -(k/m)*y

Found y' and y''

y'(t) = -Beta*sin(Beta*t) y''(t)=-Beta^2*cos(Beta*t)

Plugged those into the given equation and found Beta = +/- sqrt(k/m)

y(t) = cos (+/-sqrt(k/m)*t) -> answers for A
Pretty good- since cosine is an evern function, you don't need the "+/-", both signs give the same function, but, yes, Beta= sqrt(k/m).

For B, I found the period to be T = 2*pi / Beta
Wouldn't it be better to replace Beta by the value you found in (a)?

For C, I found that y^2 + (v/Beta)^2 = cos^2(Beta*t) + Beta^2*sin^2(Beta*t)/Beta^2
equals what?

My problem now is drawing this. I think, from remembering equations of shapes, that this is an ellipse, stretching in the v direction.

I am not sure, but I think the max and min points of the ellipse are:
y = 0, v = +/- sqrt(k/m)
v = 0, y = +/- 1
Yes, that is corret.

I also think that the direction of the field is counter-clockwise.
WHY do you think that? Suppose you were at (0, sqrt(k/m)) on this ellipse. Since the second component, the rate of change in y, is positive, is y increasing or decreasing? Which direction does that tell you?

I don't know if part B and C were done totally right and am a bit confused about finding the direction of the phase field/solution.

-twiztidmxcn

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent rates of change over time or space.

2. What is simple harmonic oscillation?

Simple harmonic oscillation is a type of motion in which a system or object moves back and forth between two points, with the motion being described by a sinusoidal function. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic oscillation?

The equation for simple harmonic oscillation can be written as x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object at time t, A is the amplitude of oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How are differential equations used in simple harmonic oscillation?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze simple harmonic oscillation by representing the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object. This allows for the prediction of the behavior of the system over time.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic oscillation?

Some common real-life examples of simple harmonic oscillation include the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass on a spring. It can also be seen in the movement of a swing, the motion of a car's suspension system, and the oscillations of a washing machine during the spin cycle.