1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations, Subsitution Methods

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. x(x+y)y' = y(x-y)

2.y' = (4x + y)^2

3. (x+y)y' = 1

2. Relevant equations

I have tried using the substitution method v =, the homogeneous method as well.

3. The attempt at a solution

For 1. i factored out the xy and got 1/xy y' = integral ( (1-y/x)/(1+(x/y)) but cant take it further to the final answer ln(xy) = (x/y) + C

For 2. i tried sub v = 4x+y, but didnt even come close to the answer

For 3. I tried homogenous equations making it (1+y/x)y' = 1/x, but i get stuck with 1/x^2 later on which i cant factor to make it a simple first order linear diff...

PLEASE HELP!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How did you factor out xy? I don't see that xy is a factor, so I'm puzzled about how you were able to factor it out.
    Well, I tried the same substitution in #2 and was able to get a separable differential equation. Show me what you tried so I can see where you went wrong.
    Why not try a substitution u = x + y? If you do it correctly, you should get a separable differential equation.

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    ok so i redid problems 2 & 3 and they worked for me...

as for problem 1...

I can factor down to y' = (y/x) ((1-y/x)/(1+y/x))

but then i get the left side after using v = y/x to be (1/2)(1/v - lnv) = lnx + c but then i cant reduce it down to the answer in the back that is: ln(xy) = C + x/y....

I did: y' = y(x-y)/x(x+y)

then: y'/y = (x-y)/(x(x+y))

then: factor out x from top of right side... y'/y = x(1-y/x)/(x(x+y)), so x's cancel

i get: y'/y = (1-y/x)/(x+y) ok so then factor out x from bottom: y'/y = (1-y/x)/(x(1+y/x), then multiply y back....

so: y' = (y/x)((1-y/x)/(1+y/x) let me know if i made a mistake here

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

So far, so good.
    Now multiply both sides by 2 to get
    1/v - ln v = 2lnx + 2c = ln x2 + 2c
    so 1/v = ln v + ln x2 + 2c = ln[v x2] + 2c
    so x/y = ln(y/x * x2) + 2c = ln(xy) + C (where C = 2c)
    That's essentially what your book shows for the answer. The answer also seems to assume that x > 0 and y > 0, otherwise you would have some absolute values after integrating and getting the ln terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook