Differential equations using Series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions to the given equation, t2y'' + ty' - y= 0, with a known solution of y1(t) = t. The individual has already attempted to solve the problem using a different method but realizes the correct approach is Reduction of order. The final solution is determined to be y2(t) = 1/t.
stosw

Homework Statement

Given that y1(t) = t is a solution of t2y'' + ty' - y= 0 find all solutions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already put it into mathbin asking somewhere else for help and it doesn't look like i can copy paste that syntax to here.

http://mathbin.net/56336

Could someone tell me if that is correct so far?
If so can you tell me where to go from there?
If not could you tell me where I made a mistake?

thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After many hours of getting no where, I realized that the correct method to solve this problem is Reduction of order.

The answer is y2(t) = 1/t.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. They involve a function and its derivatives, and are commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What is a series solution to a differential equation?

A series solution to a differential equation is an expression of the form y(x) = c0 + c1x + c2x2 + ... + cnxn, where the coefficients c0, c1, ..., cn are determined by substituting the series into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients. This method is particularly useful for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients.

3. How do you determine the radius of convergence for a series solution?

The radius of convergence for a series solution can be determined by using the ratio test. This involves taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)st term to the nth term in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges. The radius of convergence is then equal to the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point at which the series diverges.

4. Can series solutions be used to solve all differential equations?

No, series solutions can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations, particularly linear equations with constant coefficients. In some cases, a differential equation may not have a series solution, or the solution may not converge for all values of x. In these cases, other methods of solving the equation must be used.

5. What is the advantage of using a series solution to solve a differential equation?

The advantage of using a series solution is that it provides an analytical solution, rather than a numerical approximation. This allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of the function and its derivatives, and can also be used to find specific values or behaviors of the function at certain points. It also allows for the use of integration and differentiation rules to manipulate the series and find more general solutions.