Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations

1. Oct 30, 2003 #1
    how would you solve

y''-xy'+2y=0?

it says, {2a2+6a3x+12a4x^2+.......n(n-1_anx^n-1

ahh i dont know..how would you solve this? can someone explain? my math teacher is un willing to help me...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean your teacher is unwilling to tell you the answer. How mean of him! Does he expect you to actually LEARN how to do it?

The problem you have is a linear homogeneous d.e. with variable coefficients. The standard way of solving such an equation is to use power series (as you can see from the given solution).

Let y= Σ anxn where the an are to be determined. Calculate the derivatives of that, plug into your equation and combine like powers of x. You will get a recurrence relation for the ans.

4. Oct 31, 2003 #3
    yeah..thnaks but why are there two types of reserection and when do i use them? like sigma n=0 anX^n and other one with the & lambda ; x^ sigma anX^n...when do i use which ones and how? and how do i plug in answers in the differential equation/ like 8x^2y''+10xy'+(x-1)y=0
    x^ &lambda ; {8 &lambda ; -1) a0 +10 &lambda ; ....and so on...any help is welcomed

5. Nov 1, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please do not post the same thing on different threads. I responded to this on a different thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?