Differential Forms and Gradients

In summary, exterior differentiation of a 0-form on a smooth manifold is essentially the same as ordinary differentiation of a smooth function.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Show that exterior differentiation of a 0-form f on R3 is essentially the same as calculating the gradient of f.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let U be a differentiable 0-form on R3. I think

[tex]dU = \sum _{j=1} ^n \frac{δF_I}{δx_j}dx_j dx_I[/tex]However, since U is a 0-form, I can write U = FI and drop the dxI, right? I would then have,

[tex]dU = \sum _{j=1} ^n \frac{δF_I}{δx_j}dx_j
= \frac{U dx}{δx} + \frac{U dy}{δy} + \frac{U dz}{δz}[/tex]This, I think, has partial derivatives in it, but looks more like [itex]\nabla • U[/itex] than [itex]\nabla U[/itex], the latter of which should be a vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably want to use '\nabla' for your partial derivative symbol. But no, it's not like a divergence. It's not a scalar sum. dx is the dual form to the basis vector associated with x. To find rate of change along a direction v you dot the gradient vector with v. To find the rate of change using your form, you evaluate the form on the vector. You get the same thing.

Okay. First of all, what is a dual form to the basis vector? Also, what do you mean by evaluate the form on the vector? Could you give an example?

TranscendArcu said:
Okay. First of all, what is a dual form to the basis vector? Also, what do you mean by evaluate the form on the vector? Could you give an example?

Take e_x=(1,0,0), e_y=(0,1,0), and e_z=(0,0,1). Those are your basis vectors. dx is a linear function on vectors, yes? And dx(e_x)=1, dx(e_y)=0, dx(e_z)=0. Etc. That's what I mean by evaluate the form on vectors. If v=a*e_x+b*e_y+c*e_z, then dx(v)=a, dy(v)=b, dz(v)=c. How did you define 'dx'?

The only definition of dx I know is that of the differential distance. That is, taking small (I suppose linear) steps in the direction of x. Is that what you're looking for?

In any case, do I correctly sense that I have to make U into [itex]\vec{U}[/itex]?

TranscendArcu said:
The only definition of dx I know is that of the differential distance. That is, taking small (I suppose linear) steps in the direction of x. Is that what you're looking for?

In any case, do I correctly sense that I have to make U into [itex]\vec{U}[/itex]?

If that's your definition of dx as a differential form, I think you may have skipped a chapter. Try and look back in the text and find a real definition. And no, you can't make U into a vector, it's not a vector. It's a real function on R^3, just like any 0-form.

Well, truth be told, I only have the mathematical background up to multivariable calculus. That is, the class one might take at the conclusion of BC in high school. What I'm working on here is an extra-credit assignment given our by my instructor. My regular calculus textbook really has nothing in it on either differential k-forms. So I'm trying to piece together what these things k-forms are by googling examples and asking around here.

In other words, I don't have another calculus reference to get a real definition for dx. If you know where I might find one, I'd be very appreciative.

TranscendArcu said:
Well, truth be told, I only have the mathematical background up to multivariable calculus. That is, the class one might take at the conclusion of BC in high school. What I'm working on here is an extra-credit assignment given our by my instructor. My regular calculus textbook really has nothing in it on either differential k-forms. So I'm trying to piece together what these things k-forms are by googling examples and asking around here.

In other words, I don't have another calculus reference to get a real definition for dx. If you know where I might find one, I'd be very appreciative.

I'm having a hard time finding one just now. The trouble is that you usually start talking about differential forms when you are dealing with tangent spaces to manifolds. So the language can get hard to deal with pretty quickly. Try starting with this one. http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/difforms0.htm I only fished through the first half dozen or so links I found, so there's probably something better as well.

Okay. So I took some time to read through the link. I didn't understand everything (even though I have done a bit with vectors, I haven't seen the term "vector space" before). Anyway, let me try a simpler application of these differential forms. Show that exterior differentiation of 0-forms on R1 is essentially the same as ordinary differentiation of smooth functions. So I have,
[tex]dU = \sum _{j=1} ^n \frac{δF_I}{δx_j}dx_j
= \frac{U dx}{δx} + \frac{U dy}{δy} + \frac{U dz}{δz}[/tex]Let U be a differential 0-form such that U=f(x). Thus,
[tex]dU = \sum _{j=1} ^1 \frac{δf(x)}{δx_j}dx_j
= \frac{δf(x)}{δx} dx[/tex]Which I think I can rewrite as

[tex]dU = f'(x) dx[/tex]This is what I wanted to show, right?

Whoops, I copied that first line of math incorrectly. I should probably just scrap it. I think I should just have:

Let U be a differential 0-form such that U=f(x). Thus,
= \frac{f(x)}{δx} dx[/tex]Which I think I can rewrite as

[tex]dU = f'(x) dx[/tex]That's what I wanted, I think.

TranscendArcu said:
Whoops, I copied that first line of math incorrectly. I should probably just scrap it. I think I should just have:

Let U be a differential 0-form such that U=f(x). Thus,
= \frac{f(x)}{δx} dx[/tex]Which I think I can rewrite as

[tex]dU = f'(x) dx[/tex]That's what I wanted, I think.

You should figure out a better way to display partial derivatives, like I said, use \nabla. But the math part looks ok to me.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8190/skjermbilde20111207kl10.png
I was trying to recreate the loopy d's in the equation you see above. What is the code for those?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, I've been saying the wrong thing. The code is \partial. [tex]\frac{ \partial f }{ \partial x}[/tex]

Okay. So the next part of the question is "Show that exterior differentiation of a 0-form f on R2 is essentially the same as calculating the gradient of f."

So I have [tex]dU = \sum _{j=1} ^2 \frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x_j}}dx_j
= \frac{f(x)}{\partial{x}} dx +\frac{f(x)}{\partial{y}} dy[/tex]As a vector, this would be written as [itex]<\frac{f(x)}{\partial{x}},\frac{f(x)}{\partial{y}}>[/itex] right? And is this, then, not just the same as [itex]\nabla U[/itex]?

TranscendArcu said:
Okay. So the next part of the question is "Show that exterior differentiation of a 0-form f on R2 is essentially the same as calculating the gradient of f."

So I have [tex]dU = \sum _{j=1} ^2 \frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x_j}}dx_j
= \frac{f(x)}{\partial{x}} dx +\frac{f(x)}{\partial{y}} dy[/tex]As a vector, this would be written as [itex]<\frac{f(x)}{\partial{x}},\frac{f(x)}{\partial{y}}>[/itex] right? And is this, then, not just the same as [itex]\nabla U[/itex]?

Like the question said, it is "essentially the same thing". But it's not the SAME thing. It's not a vector. It's a linear function on vectors.

[tex]dU = \sum _{j=1} ^2 \frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x_j}}dx_j
= \frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x}} dx +\frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{y}} dy[/tex]So, right now, the only similarity I see between this and the gradient is that they both have partial derivatives, and that both require you to calculate partial derivatives. So, yes, computationally I can see the relationship between the two. But is that really the only connection?

Also, notice that I've written [itex]\frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{y}} dy[/itex] Is this bad notation? Would it be better to write f(x,y)?

Also, how come I can't find the edit button anywhere?

TranscendArcu said:
[tex]dU = \sum _{j=1} ^2 \frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x_j}}dx_j
= \frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{x}} dx +\frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{y}} dy[/tex]So, right now, the only similarity I see between this and the gradient is that they both have partial derivatives, and that both require you to calculate partial derivatives. So, yes, computationally I can see the relationship between the two. But is that really the only connection?

Also, notice that I've written [itex]\frac{\partial{f(x)}}{\partial{y}} dy[/itex] Is this bad notation? Would it be better to write f(x,y)?

Also, how come I can't find the edit button anywhere?

f(x,y) would certainly be better. Go back and reread post 2 for the connection. And the Edit button has been on and off lately.

1. What are differential forms and gradients?

Differential forms are mathematical objects used in multivariable calculus to represent the geometry of a surface or a higher-dimensional space. They allow for the calculation of quantities such as area, volume, and flux. Gradients, on the other hand, are vectors that represent the rate of change of a scalar function in a particular direction. They are often used in optimization problems and in defining the direction of steepest ascent or descent.

2. How are differential forms and gradients related?

Differential forms and gradients are closely related as they both involve the concept of differentials. In fact, the gradient of a scalar function is a type of differential form called a 1-form. Additionally, the exterior derivative of a differential form is used to define the gradient of a function. In other words, the gradient can be seen as a special case of a differential form.

3. What is the purpose of using differential forms and gradients?

The main purpose of using differential forms and gradients is to simplify and generalize the calculus operations of differentiation and integration in higher dimensions. They provide a more elegant and geometric approach to solving problems involving surfaces and higher-dimensional spaces. Additionally, they are useful in physics and engineering applications for describing physical quantities such as force, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid flow.

4. How are differential forms and gradients calculated?

The calculation of differential forms and gradients depends on the specific problem and the dimension of the space. In general, differential forms are calculated using the exterior derivative operator, which involves taking partial derivatives and then performing a wedge product. Gradients, on the other hand, are calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a scalar function with respect to each variable and combining them into a vector.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential forms and gradients?

Differential forms and gradients have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze physical phenomena such as fluid flow, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. In computer graphics, they are used to create realistic 3D models and animations by simulating the behavior of light and surfaces. They also have applications in optimization problems, such as finding the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface.