1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometery: Images of Gauss Maps

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

this is a 2 part problem

let G: T-----> (Sigma) be the gaus map of the torus T derived from its outward unit normal U. What are the image curves under G of the meridians and parallels of T? What points of (Sigma) are the image of exactly two points of T?

And

Let G: M---->(Sigma) be the Gauss map of the saddle surface M: z=xy derived from the unit normal. What is the image under G of one of the straight lines, y= constant in M? How much of the sphere is covered by the entire image G(M)

2. Relevant equations

Part 1:

Unit normal of z=xy

U= [-fxU1- fyU2+U3]/ (1+ (fx)^2 + (fy)^2)^1/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont know how to do any rigorous proofs for these, but i am not sure we are suppose to.

Ok for part 1 here is what i think.

I think if you travel along the surface of the torus, along the meridian, you it will be mapped to a circle (in the xy plane). if you travel along the meridians you will get a circle in the xz plane.

And the points in sigma thare are exactly 2 points in T are the North and south poles of the unit sphere.

And for part 2 i am completley lost, am i even on the right track for part one?

any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2
    can anybody help with this?

4. Jun 3, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't really give us an exact notion of how stuff is oriented, but offhand, I would say meridians of the torus map to meridians of the the sphere. And parallels to parallels. I would also say that poles of the sphere are the only points which are NOT twofold images of points on T. There's an infinite number of points mapping to them. Do you see that picture?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?