Differential Geometry (do Carmo) proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof in Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces and whether it can be shortened. The proposition states that if a differentiable function on a connected open subset has a zero derivative at every point, it is constant on that subset. The conversation also brings up the idea of connectedness and its relation to continuous curves. The person asking for clarification is wondering if their proof is valid, while another person points out that the proof relies on a smooth curve, not just a continuous one. The conversation ends with confirmation that the proof is correct, as long as the curve is smooth.
murmillo

Homework Statement

I'm going over a proof in Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces by do Carmo, and I don't know why the proof can't be shortened to my proof given below. (Proposition 9 on page 130)

Proposition. Let f:U-->R be a differentiable function defined on a connected open subset U of Rn. Assume that dfp:Rn-->R is zero at every point p in U. Then f is constant on U.

Homework Equations

A surface S is connected if any two points can be joined by a continuous curve in S.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let p and q be in U. We want to show that f(p)=f(q).
Since U is connected, there exists a continuous curve X:[a,b]-->U with X(a)=p and X(b)=q.
Since U is open, we can extend X to (a-epsilon, b+epsilon).
Now, f o X : (a-epsilon, b+epsilon) -->R is a function defined in an open interval, and d(f o X)t = (df o dX)t = 0, since df=0.
Thus d/dt(f o X) = 0 for all t in (a-epsilon, b+epsilon), and hence f o X = const.
This means that f(X(a))=f(p)=f(X(b))=f(q); that is, f is constant on U.

The book's proof is similar to mine, but it is longer and not the same as mine. So, is my proof OK, or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be assuming that your curve, X, is smooth. The fact that the space is connected means that there exist a path between any two points but not necessarilly a smooth path.

Oh, I see. Thank you.

Isn't it true that any connected open subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] is [tex]C^\infty[/tex] path connected, though? It seems like the same argument that proves a (continuous) path component and its complement are both open should work for [tex]C^\infty[/tex] paths because a piecewise linear path can have its vertices smoothed away to infinite order over a region as small as you like.

1. What is Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves, surfaces, and other geometric objects using techniques from calculus and linear algebra. It is concerned with understanding the intrinsic geometric properties of these objects, rather than their extrinsic properties in a specific space.

2. Who is do Carmo?

Manfredo Perdigão do Carmo was a Brazilian mathematician who made significant contributions to the field of Differential Geometry. He is best known for his textbook "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces", which is commonly used in university courses.

3. What is the proof in do Carmo's book about?

The proof in do Carmo's book is a rigorous and detailed explanation of a theorem or proposition in Differential Geometry. It may involve using mathematical concepts and techniques to show that a statement is true or to solve a problem.

4. Is the proof in do Carmo's book difficult to understand?

The difficulty of understanding the proof in do Carmo's book may vary based on the reader's mathematical background and familiarity with the subject matter. However, the book is written in a clear and logical manner, making it accessible to both beginners and advanced readers.

5. Why is Differential Geometry important?

Differential Geometry has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields, as it provides a way to study and analyze the shape and curvature of objects in a precise and rigorous manner. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as topology and differential equations, making it an important and useful tool in understanding the world around us.