1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Lengths (Cylinder & Sphere)

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    This isn't a homework problem, but I was wondering if anyone could explain two things to me.

1. When you have the differential lengths of a cylinder:

dlr= dr dl[itex]\theta[/itex] = r d[itex]\theta[/itex] dlz = dz

Why is dl[itex]\theta[/itex] equal to r d[itex]\theta[/itex] and not just d[itex]\theta[/itex]?

2. When you have the differential lengths of a sphere:

dlR = dR dl[itex]\theta[/itex] = R d[itex]\theta[/itex] dl[itex]\varphi[/itex] = R sin[itex]\theta[/itex] d[itex]\varphi[/itex]

Why is dl[itex]\theta[/itex] equal to R d[itex]\theta[/itex] and why is [itex]\varphi[/itex] equal to R sin[itex]\theta[/itex] d[itex]\varphi[/itex]???

I really want to be able to see rather than memorize what each of these differential lengths are equal to.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2
    As I recall, the rdθ has to do with radians. When you're on a circle, and you move through an angle θ, you have traveled a distance rθ (provided θ is measured in radians!). If you move through an infinitesimal angle dθ you have gone a distance rdθ.

As for spherical, notice that θ is the angle from the z-axis (I think?) then the radius in the X-Y plane is Rsinθ, so by the same radian argument, an infinitesmal movement in the phi direction (angle from the x-axis) should be Rsinθdψ (I can't believe they don't have phi!!).

And same goes for Rdθ in the θ direction (angle from the z-axis).

hope this helps!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook