Related Rates involving Cosine Law

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum time for a runner/swimmer to travel from point A to point B on a circle of radius 20. The formula for time involves the arc length and the straight line length between the two points, and can be minimized by differentiating with respect to time.
Cardinality
For problem: See Attachment

I've never done a problem of this sort and it's proving to be much more difficult compared to the other problems I have had assigned to me.
I'm not entirely sure which formulas to use but I've been playing with the following:
Length of Arc = r[itex]\theta[/itex]
A = [itex]\pi[/itex]r^2
C = [itex]\pi[/itex]d = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]r
A of Sector= 1/2([itex]\theta[/itex]-Sin[itex]\theta[/itex])r^2
And the Cosine Law

Being honest, I'm a little confused by the question. I'm not entirely sure if I labelled my variables correctly. But I made a diagram and this is what I did so far:

- L = r[itex]\theta[/itex]
So: dL/dt = dr/dt x d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt
I assumed the walking speed on the surface was dL/dt. Therefore, dL/dt = 4.
I assumed d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt = 4 m/s x 2[itex]\pi[/itex] rad/m = 8.
Therefore, I was able to calculate that dr/dt = 1/2.

I differentiated the cosine formula just to give myself a general idea of what I had to work with, but with two variable side lengths and an unknown [itex]\theta[/itex] I was at a loss.

Note: After quite a bit of searching, this was the closest value I found to help me out.

But in this example, a value for theta is given and two side lengths are known.

I think my main problem may be understanding the question. If someone could clarify it and give me some pointers that would be great!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Related Rates Cosine Law.PNG
    Related Rates Cosine Law.PNG
    14 KB · Views: 547
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: Nvm

Last edited:
Cardinality said:
For problem: See Attachment

I've never done a problem of this sort and it's proving to be much more difficult compared to the other problems I have had assigned to me.
I'm not entirely sure which formulas to use but I've been playing with the following:
Length of Arc = r[itex]\theta[/itex]
A = [itex]\pi[/itex]r^2
C = [itex]\pi[/itex]d = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]r
A of Sector= 1/2([itex]\theta[/itex]-Sin[itex]\theta[/itex])r^2
And the Cosine Law

It is pretty pointless just to write down formulas willy-nilly. You need to draw a picture and figure out a formula for what you are trying to maximize or minimize. And this problem has nothing to do with areas.

Being honest, I'm a little confused by the question. I'm not entirely sure if I labelled my variables correctly. But I made a diagram and this is what I did so far:

- L = r[itex]\theta[/itex]
So: dL/dt = dr/dt x d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt
I assumed the walking speed on the surface was dL/dt. Therefore, dL/dt = 4.
I assumed d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt = 4 m/s x 2[itex]\pi[/itex] rad/m = 8.
Therefore, I was able to calculate that dr/dt = 1/2.

I differentiated the cosine formula just to give myself a general idea of what I had to work with, but with two variable side lengths and an unknown [itex]\theta[/itex] I was at a loss.

Thanks!

Without seeing your diagram, how are we supposed to follow that? And given that the radius of the circle is 20, clearly finding dr/dt = 1/2 is nonsense. Here's what I suggest you do:

1. Draw a circle at the origin with A at (20,0) and B at (-20,0). Label a point on the upper circumference as C with polar angle ##\theta##. Label the arc from A to C as ##s## and the straight line from C to B as ##l##. So the runner/swimmer is going to run around the circle from A to the unknown point C along ##s##, then swim directly from C to B along ##l##.

2. Write an equation for the time ##T## it takes for him to run/swim that path. Only then are you ready to differentiate with respect to time ##t## and minimize ##T##.

1. What is the cosine law?

The cosine law, also known as the law of cosines, is a mathematical formula used to calculate the side lengths or angles of a triangle when given certain information. It states that the square of a side length of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two side lengths minus twice the product of those side lengths and the cosine of the included angle.

2. How is the cosine law related to related rates?

The cosine law is often used in problems involving related rates because it can be used to find the rate of change of a side length or angle in a triangle. By taking the derivative of the cosine law equation, we can set up a related rates problem and solve for the desired rate of change.

3. What are the steps for solving a related rates problem involving the cosine law?

The first step is to identify the variables and their rates of change in the problem. Then, use the given information to set up an equation using the cosine law. Take the derivative of the equation with respect to time, and substitute in the known rates of change. Finally, solve for the desired rate of change.

4. Can the cosine law be used for any type of triangle?

Yes, the cosine law can be used for any type of triangle, including acute, right, and obtuse triangles. However, it is important to note that the formula may need to be rearranged depending on the given information and the type of triangle.

5. Are there any limitations to using the cosine law in related rates problems?

One limitation of using the cosine law in related rates problems is that it assumes the triangle is a rigid shape, meaning the side lengths and angles do not change. In real-world scenarios, this may not always be the case and the results may not be entirely accurate.