1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential mechanics equation

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    here is the question and my solution until i have become stumped:

The force acting on a particle of mass m is given by : F=kvx where k is a positive constant. The particle passes through the origin with speed vo at t=0. Find x as a function of t.

what i have done is set up the following differential equation:

[tex] k\frac{dx}{dt}x=m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

is this correct? and if so, how do i solve this type of differential equation?
    i am not so strong at de's
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2
    Rewrite your equation as

\frac{d^2 x}{d t^2} - 2\mu x \frac{dx}{dt} = 0

(just relabelling constants, [itex]\mu = k/2m[/itex]), Then you notice that

2\mu x \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\left(\mu x^2\right)

So the entire LHS of your equation can be written as... [something]

By the way, are you sure that this is the force you're given?

The solutions you get from this should be pretty non-trivially dependent on your initial conditions (as is the case with most non-linear ODEs), for example if you analyse your force, when x is positive, and v is positive, your force is positive, and so your particle will accelerate off to infinity. If x is positive, and v is negative, then the particle is accelerated towards the origin. If x is negative, and v is negative, the particle is accelerated toward the origin (slowing the particle), until it reaches a steady state when v=0, (since the force acting on the particle is zero). If x is negative, and v is positive, the particle is accelerated away from the origin along -x (deccelerating the particle). If the particles initial momentum is not enough to reach the origin, (or just enough to reach it) it will then come to a halt (again because v=0, and also F=0). If it has enough momentum to go beyond the origin, then again it will escape to infinity.

In what context did you come across this force?
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    thanks for the help. however i am still not sure what to do after rewriting like this, is there anymore help someone can provide?
  5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?