Differential v. Integral Rate Laws; Kinetics

In summary, Chemical kinetics is all about the rate at which things react, and in order to solve a differential equation, you need to know the value of the equation at the starting point.
SlidemanD
I'm nearing the end of AP Chemistry, and in review for the big test I came across my old friend, Chemical Kinetics. Also being near the end of Precalculus, the "differential" and "integral" laws piqued my interest. Remembering that I have not taken any Calculus lessons, can someone help explain the mathematics involved in deriving the formulae we use in kinetics?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, that's a kind of tough order, since it's all about calculus, really. But here's an attempt at explaining the basic calculus behind it all:

Chemical kinetics is all about the rate at which things react, i.e. the rate at which molecules are formed. So you're dealing with finding out:
[tex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/tex], i.e. the rate of change of the concentration of A with time.

Now, typically, the rate at which the concentration changes will depend on the concentration itself. More molecules of A means more reactions taking place, so in general, you can write:

[tex]-\frac{d[A]}{dt} = k[A]^n[/tex]

Which says that the concentration of A decreases over time in proportion to the concentration of A (itself), raised to the power of n. Where n is called the order of the reaction. Chemical reactions are most often first or second order.

(Although for a zeroth-order reaction n=0 then [tex][A]^n = 1[/tex], meaning in that one case the rate at which [A] changes does not depend on [A].)

So with the exception of zeroth-order, you have an equation with a function ([A], the concentration of A is a function of time) which depends on its own derivative ([tex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/tex]). That's termed a differential equation, hence a 'differential rate law'.

So this tells us how the [A] changes with time. But we're not usually interested in that. What you're usually interested in is [A] itself. What's [A] at time t? To get that, you have to solve the differential equation. Taking as an example the rate law for a first-order reaction:
[tex]-\frac{d[A]}{dt} = k[A][/tex]
The solution to this differential equation (the second-simplest D.E. possible) is, if you haven't learned it yet:
[tex][A] = [A]_0 e^{-kt}[/tex]

Where [tex][A]_0[/tex] is the concentration at t = 0. Since the differential equation only tells us how [A] changes with time, obviously we have to know its value at the starting point to be able to say anything about what happens later.

The solved equation is called the integrated rate law.

Now, it can get trickier: The rate for [X] might depend on the concentration of more than one substance, (e.g. [Y]) and the concentration [Y] might depend on [X]. That's called a system of coupled differential equations (and you'll probably how to solve them eventually). A nifty property of those is that, if the conditions are right, they can oscillate wildly (chaotically) between different values before reaching equilibrium. An example is the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdscFBvdTLg". This is also seen in nature where you have 'cycles' where the populations of predators and prey oscillate. (predator-prey models are a very popular example of coupled diff equations)

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:
So this tells us how the [A] changes with time. But we're not usually interested in that. What you're usually interested in is [A] itself. What's [A] at time t? To get that, you have to solve the differential equation. Taking as an example the rate law for a first-order reaction:
[tex]-\frac{d[A]}{dt} = k[A][/tex]

Although this is a differential equation, it is a very simple one to solve. In fact, the other simple rate laws (k[A]2 or k[A]3) are easy to solve as well. It only gets difficult when you include [A] and

In order to solve this just integrate (still beyond precalculus level though):

Rearrange [tex]-\frac{d[A]}{dt} = k[A][/tex]
to

[tex]\frac{d[A]}{[A]} = -k[dt][/tex]

Then integrate both sides to get

ln[A] - ln [A0] = -kt

which rearranges to

Last edited:
Cesium said:
Although this is a differential equation, it is a very simple one to solve. In fact, the other simple rate laws (k[A]2 or k[A]3) are easy to solve as well. It only gets difficult when you include [A] and

In order to solve this just integrate (still beyond precalculus level though):

Rearrange [tex]-\frac{d[A]}{dt} = k[A][/tex]
to

[tex]\frac{d[A]}{[A]} = -k[dt][/tex]

Then integrate both sides to get

ln[A] - ln [A0] = -kt

which rearranges to

Except for the fact that you just solved a seperable differential equation right there.

EDIT: Crossposted with the edit and didn't even read the box once I started posting... sorry Cesium.

Many thanks, all - this is very helpful. When I learn a concept, I fail at remembering it unless I feel the topic has been logically proved in my own mind. Understanding a bit more about the mathematics behind kinetics seems to "complete" the concepts thereof.

What is the difference between differential and integral rate laws?

Differential rate laws describe the rate of a reaction by relating the rate to the concentrations of reactants, while integral rate laws describe the rate by relating it to the amount of products formed over time. Differential rate laws are typically used for reactions with simple stoichiometries, while integral rate laws are used for more complex reactions.

How are kinetics related to rate laws?

Kinetics is the study of the rate of chemical reactions, and rate laws are mathematical expressions that describe the relationship between the rate of a reaction and the concentrations of reactants or products. Kinetics provides a way to determine the rate law for a given reaction by measuring the rate of the reaction under different conditions.

What factors affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and the presence of a catalyst. Increasing the temperature, concentration, or surface area will generally increase the rate of the reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can decrease the activation energy and increase the rate of the reaction.

How do you determine the order of a reaction?

The order of a reaction is determined by the exponents in the rate law. The overall order of a reaction is the sum of the exponents for each reactant. The order can be experimentally determined by measuring the rate of the reaction under different conditions and analyzing the data to determine how changes in concentration affect the rate.

Why are rate laws important in chemical kinetics?

Rate laws are important in chemical kinetics because they provide a way to mathematically describe the rate of a reaction and predict how changes in reaction conditions will affect the rate. They also allow for the determination of reaction mechanisms and the identification of rate-determining steps in complex reactions.