1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiate from first principles

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Differentiate from first principles with respect to x: x^n (where n belongs to the natural numbers).

2. Relevant equations

f'(x) = Lim x→0 [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h

3. The attempt at a solution

f'(x) = Lim x→0 [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h
    = Lim x→0 [(x+h)^n - x^n]/h

I need some help simplifying this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[(x+h)^n - x^n] ... use the binomial expansion theorem to get the first few terms of (x+h)^n:

x^n + n x^(n-1) h^1 + (n|2) x^(n-2) h^2 ... where (n|2) is the number of combinations of n items taken 2 at a time.

Then simplify, and take the limit.

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    I don't have a very good understanding of the binomial theorem. I'm not sure what this means: "where (n|2) is the number of combinations of n items taken 2 at a time" or how it helps me.

My only experience of the binomial theorem has been making the h into a 1 thus giving me (x+h)^n = [(1/h)^n].(x/h + 1)^n where n has always been given to me.

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Oct 31, 2013 #5
    I tried the above and just came out with x^n-1. I'm not sure where to obtain the n I need.

I'm having some serious issues with [sin(x+h) - sin(x)]/h and {[1/(x+h^1/2)]-[1/(x^1/2)]}. I think the second of which can be solved with (a-b)(a+b) = a^2 - b^2 or am I completely wrong?

7. Oct 31, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Show us what you did when you expanded (x + h)n using the binomial theorem.

8. Oct 31, 2013 #7
    I've just managed to do it. I expanded (x+h)^n, subtracted x^n and divided by h. Substituting 0 in for h I am left with just one term which had no h after the division, which was (n 1)x^n-1 which I now realise gives me n.x^n-1.

But I am still unsure about the others I mentioned above. I tried just about every identity I could to get the sine one to work, unless I missed something. I have lim θ→0 Sinθ/θ = 1 but I'm not sure how to make it helpful.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted