Differentiating a trig function

In summary, the Chain Rule is used to differentiate the given function, y=\cos^2(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2}). The derivative is found to be y' = 8x(x^2 - 2)^{-2} \sin(\frac{2x^2 + 4}{x^2 - 2}) by using the double-angle identity and simplifying. The half angle identities are not used because they have not been formally introduced.
maphco

Homework Statement

Differentiate using the Chain Rule:
[tex]y=\cos^2(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]y' = -2\cos(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})\sin(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2}) [\frac{2x(x^2 - 2) - (x^2 + 2)2x}{(x^2 - 2)^2}][/tex]
[tex]\mbox{derivative of cos is -sin so I brought the negative to the front}[/tex]
[tex]y' = -2\cos(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})\sin(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2}) [\frac{2x(x^2 - 2 - x^2 - 2)}{(x^2 - 2)^2}][/tex]
[tex]y' = -2\cos(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})\sin(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})[\frac{-8x}{(x^2 - 2)^2}][/tex]
[tex]y' = 16x(x^2 - 2)^{-2} \cos(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})\sin(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})[/tex]

However the worksheet says the answer is:
[tex] y' = 8x(x^2 - 2)^{-2} \sin(\frac{2x^2 + 4}{x^2 - 2})[/tex]

What the *flat line* did I do wrong? My answer isn't even close.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
they simplified using a formula for:
[tex]\sin(\alpha)\cos(\beta)=\frac{1}{2}\sin(\alpha-\beta)+\frac{1}{2}\sin(\alpha+\beta)[/tex]

when you plug in your values for sin(a)cos(b) the first sin cancels out

double angle identity

[tex]2sinxcosx = sin2x[/tex]

Bob, we haven't been shown the half angle identities, which is what I assume that formula is used for. I know those formulae, but can't use them because we haven't been shown them formally :p.

Roco, that is genius! :D

if you find that you're differentiating cosine or sine to the 2nd power, i usually differentiate and simplify using double-angle identity

also, when you have secx to some power, re-write the power and just add tanx at the end.

[tex]\sec^{2}x[/tex]

[tex]\sec^{2}x\tan{x}[/tex]

makes the writing a lil easier

Roco, thanks for the idea on simplifying the 2nd power part.

1. What is the definition of a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do you differentiate a trigonometric function?

To differentiate a trigonometric function, you use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and the chain rule. You can also use trigonometric identities to simplify the function before differentiating.

3. What is the derivative of sine and cosine?

The derivative of sine is cosine, and the derivative of cosine is negative sine. This can be remembered with the mnemonic device "darker high, lighter low" where the derivative is darker (cosine) and the original function is lighter (sine).

4. How do you differentiate inverse trigonometric functions?

To differentiate inverse trigonometric functions, you use the inverse trigonometric derivatives, which can be derived from the derivatives of the corresponding trigonometric functions. For example, the derivative of inverse sine is 1 over the square root of 1 minus x squared.

5. What are some common applications of differentiating trigonometric functions?

Differentiating trigonometric functions is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and calculus. It can be used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and mechanical vibrations. It is also used in solving optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of trigonometric functions.