1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating a trig function

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Differentiate using the Chain Rule:
    [tex]y=\cos^2(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]y' = -2\cos(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})\sin(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2}) [\frac{2x(x^2 - 2) - (x^2 + 2)2x}{(x^2 - 2)^2}][/tex]
    [tex]\mbox{derivative of cos is -sin so I brought the negative to the front}[/tex]
    [tex]y' = -2\cos(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})\sin(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2}) [\frac{2x(x^2 - 2 - x^2 - 2)}{(x^2 - 2)^2}][/tex]
    [tex]y' = -2\cos(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})\sin(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})[\frac{-8x}{(x^2 - 2)^2}][/tex]
    [tex]y' = 16x(x^2 - 2)^{-2} \cos(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})\sin(\frac{x^2 + 2}{x^2 - 2})[/tex]

However the worksheet says the answer is:
    [tex] y' = 8x(x^2 - 2)^{-2} \sin(\frac{2x^2 + 4}{x^2 - 2})[/tex]

What the *flat line* did I do wrong? My answer isn't even close.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2
    they simplified using a formula for:
    [tex]\sin(\alpha)\cos(\beta)=\frac{1}{2}\sin(\alpha-\beta)+\frac{1}{2}\sin(\alpha+\beta)[/tex]

when you plug in your values for sin(a)cos(b) the first sin cancels out

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    double angle identity

[tex]2sinxcosx = sin2x[/tex]

5. Oct 14, 2007 #4
    Bob, we haven't been shown the half angle identities, which is what I assume that formula is used for. I know those formulae, but can't use them because we haven't been shown them formally :p.

Roco, that is genius! :D

6. Oct 14, 2007 #5
    if you find that you're differentiating cosine or sine to the 2nd power, i usually differentiate and simplify using double-angle identity

also, when you have secx to some power, re-write the power and just add tanx at the end.

[tex]\sec^{2}x[/tex]

[tex]\sec^{2}x\tan{x}[/tex]

makes the writing a lil easier

7. Oct 14, 2007 #6
    Roco, thanks for the idea on simplifying the 2nd power part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?