Differentiating x^k: Help Understanding Complex Derivatives

But your expression for ##d^{ni}/dx^{ni}## doesn't work for non-integer n. You need to rewrite it in a way that can be generalized to non-integer n.which seems to reduce to\frac{d^{-1}}{dx^{-1}}x^k = \frac{x^{k+1}}{k\Gamma(k-i+1)\Gamma(k-2i+1)...}since gamma(k+1)/gamma(k+2) = k!/(k+1)! = 1/k.But this then seems quite strange, because the denominator should equate to k+1 if this is true (we are integrating x^k here using differentiation). But I do not see
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hi, I am having some trouble understanding what I have done here, or if it makes any sense at all.

Recall that

[tex]\frac{d^a}{dx^a}x^k = \frac{\Gamma(k+1)}{\Gamma(k-a+1)}x^{k-a}[/tex]

We can extend this to complex numbers if we let a be of the form p + qi, where p and q are real, and i is the imaginary unit. And it follows that when one finds the ith derivative of a function, and then finds the (1-i)th derivative of THAT, then you end up with the first derivative of the function, since i + (1-i) = 1.

Taking the ith derivative is itself doable:

[tex]\frac{d^i}{dx^i} x^k = \frac{\Gamma(k+1)}{\Gamma(k - i + 1)}x^{k-i}[/tex]

But supposing we wanted to do that i times. Since i^2 = -1, finding the ith derivative i times *should* be the same as performing one integration.

Unfortunately finding ith derivatives often requires the use of i! (i factorial), which gives an answer of the form a + bi where a and b are irrational and only expressible through the use of infinite series. But it just so happens that evaluating the modulus of i factorial gives;

[tex]|i!| = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\sinh(\pi)}}[/tex]

which is nicer to deal with.

Suppose we wanted to take the ith derivative n times;

[tex]\frac{d^{ni}}{dx^{ni}}x^k = \frac{\Gamma(k+1)x^{k-ni}}{\Gamma(k-i+1)\Gamma(k-2i+1)...\Gamma(k-ni+1)}[/tex]

and letting n = i yields

[tex]\frac{d^{-1}}{dx^{-1}}x^k = \frac{\Gamma(k+1)x^{k+1}}{\Gamma(k-i+1)\Gamma(k-2i+1)...\Gamma(k+2)}[/tex]

which seems to reduce to

[tex]\frac{d^{-1}}{dx^{-1}}x^k = \frac{x^{k+1}}{k\Gamma(k-i+1)\Gamma(k-2i+1)...}[/tex]

since gamma(k+1)/gamma(k+2) = k!/(k+1)! = 1/k.

But this then seems quite strange, because the denominator should equate to k+1 if this is true (we are integrating x^k here using differentiation). But I do not see how that infinite product will approach that.

Can anyone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not how the i-th order derivative is usually defined. We start with
##I^\alpha f(x) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(\alpha)}\int_0^x (x-t)^{\alpha-1} f(t) \, dt##
for ##Re \alpha > 0##.
To get the derivative of order i, you calculate the integral of order 1-i, and then differentiate, so we obtain
##D^i f(x) = \frac{d}{dx} \frac{1}{\Gamma(1-i)} \int_0^x (x-t)^{-i} f(t) \, dt##
this integral requires a branch cut, and the default choice is to place it so it goes through the origin.

Also I want to point out
And it follows that when one finds the ith derivative of a function, and then finds the (1-i)th derivative of THAT, then you end up with the first derivative of the function, since i + (1-i) = 1.
is false for fractional derivatives. That means ##D^\alpha D^\beta \neq D^{\alpha+\beta}## for general α and β.

But supposing we wanted to do that i times. Since i^2 = -1, finding the ith derivative i times *should* be the same as performing one integration.
This is a different concept. You are taking a fractional derivative and fractionalising it, so you need far more sophisticated tools. I'd say you won't get simple integration back.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Hi, I am having some trouble understanding what I have done here, or if it makes any sense at all.

Recall that

[tex]\frac{d^a}{dx^a}x^k = \frac{\Gamma(k+1)}{\Gamma(k-a+1)}x^{k-a}[/tex]

If you take this form and set ##a = i^2 = -1## you get ##x^{k+1}/(k+1)##, as desired.

We can extend this to complex numbers if we let a be of the form p + qi, where p and q are real, and i is the imaginary unit. And it follows that when one finds the ith derivative of a function, and then finds the (1-i)th derivative of THAT, then you end up with the first derivative of the function, since i + (1-i) = 1.

Taking the ith derivative is itself doable:

[tex]\frac{d^i}{dx^i} x^k = \frac{\Gamma(k+1)}{\Gamma(k - i + 1)}x^{k-i}[/tex]

Unfortunately finding ith derivatives often requires the use of i! (i factorial), which gives an answer of the form a + bi where a and b are irrational and only expressible through the use of infinite series. But it just so happens that evaluating the modulus of i factorial gives;

[tex]|i!| = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\sinh(\pi)}}[/tex]

which is nicer to deal with.

Suppose we wanted to take the ith derivative n times;

[tex]\frac{d^{ni}}{dx^{ni}}x^k = \frac{\Gamma(k+1)x^{k-ni}}{\Gamma(k-i+1)\Gamma(k-2i+1)...\Gamma(k-ni+1)}[/tex]

and letting n = i yields

[tex]\frac{d^{-1}}{dx^{-1}}x^k = \frac{\Gamma(k+1)x^{k+1}}{\Gamma(k-i+1)\Gamma(k-2i+1)...\Gamma(k+2)}[/tex]

You can't do that. The way you have written things, n is explicitly an integer. You can't just set n = i. You would need to write your expression in a form that can be legitimately generalized to non-integer n. The reason the formula for a fractional derivative of ##x^k## works is that it reduces to the usual result when ##a## is an integer, but also the Gamma function form of writing the result easily generalizes to non-integer derivative orders because the Gamma function has an analytic continuation into the complex plane.

1. What is the general definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function is the instantaneous rate of change of that function at a specific point. In other words, it measures how quickly the output of a function is changing at a given input.

2. What is the power rule for derivatives?

The power rule states that the derivative of x raised to a constant power, k, is equal to k times x raised to the power k-1. In other words, the exponent of x decreases by 1 and is multiplied by the original coefficient.

3. How do I differentiate a function with multiple terms using the power rule?

To differentiate a function with multiple terms using the power rule, you simply apply the rule to each term separately and then combine the results using basic algebraic operations.

4. What are some common mistakes when differentiating using the power rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the power rule to each term separately. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the rule by multiplying the exponent by the coefficient instead of subtracting 1 from the exponent.

5. How can I apply the power rule to more complex functions?

For more complex functions, you can use the power rule multiple times or combine it with other derivative rules, such as the product rule or chain rule. It is important to also be familiar with algebraic manipulation to simplify the function before differentiating.