Differentiation and integration

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding a statement seen in physics notes related to a general differential operator and a green's function. The question asks if the formula ∂/∂x ∫ f(x-y)g(y) ∂y is generally true. The solution is derived using the properties of Dirac delta and the Leibniz integral rule.
davon806

Homework Statement

Hi,I saw a statement in my physics notes like this(Anyway it is a maths problem):

diff.png

where L is a general differential operator.G is a green's function(I guess it is irrelevant)
My question is related to the red line:
Suppose we have this:
∂/∂x ∫ f(x-y)g(y) ∂y
is it generally true that
∂/∂x ∫ f(x-y)g(y) ∂y = ∫ ∂/∂x [ f(x-y)g(y) ] ∂y ?

Homework Equations

Please answer it as simply as you can...Since I have not done multivariable calculus...(Though I would be happy to check it out if there is a theorem related to this.)

The Attempt at a Solution

If the above is simplified to ∂/∂x ∫ f(x)g(y) ∂y ,then ∂/∂x [f(x) ∫ g(y) ∂y]
⇒ ∫ ∂/∂x [ f(x) ] g(y) ∂y
⇒ ∫ ∂/∂x [ f(x)g(y) ] ∂y

But I don't know what to do with the (x-y) term..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The general formula is:
deaf6cf147e2c72ca92f02fbe5bb17ef.png

But you don't need this. You only need to use the properties of Dirac delta, i.e. ## \int \delta(x-y) f(y) dy=f(x)##.

Shyan said:
The general formula is:
deaf6cf147e2c72ca92f02fbe5bb17ef.png

But you don't need this. You only need to use the properties of Dirac delta, i.e. ## \int \delta(x-y) f(y) dy=f(x)##.

Likes davon806

1. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It involves calculating the slope of a curve at a particular point. Integration, on the other hand, is the process of finding the area under a curve. It involves finding the anti-derivative of a function.

2. Why are differentiation and integration important in mathematics and science?

Differentiation and integration play a crucial role in understanding and analyzing complex systems and phenomena in mathematics and science. They are used to model real-world situations and make predictions about their behavior. They are also fundamental in many areas such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

3. What are the basic rules for differentiation and integration?

The basic rules for differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The power rule states that the derivative of a function raised to a constant power is the coefficient of the power multiplied by the function to the power of one less than the original power. The basic rules for integration include the power rule, substitution rule, and integration by parts.

4. How are differentiation and integration related?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. This means that the derivative of a function is the inverse operation of finding the area under its curve, and the integral of a function is the inverse operation of finding its derivative. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

5. What are some real-world applications of differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration have numerous real-world applications, such as calculating rates of change in physics, optimizing production processes in engineering, and predicting stock market trends in economics. They are also used in fields like medicine, biology, and chemistry to model and analyze complex biological systems.