1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation, change of variable

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    The question:

if [tex]x=\rho cos \phi[/tex] and [tex]y=\rho sin\phi[/tex]

prove that if U is a twice differentiable function of x and y that

[tex] \frac{d^2U}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2U}{dy^2} = \frac{d^2U}{d\rho^2} + \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{dU}{d\rho} + \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{d^2U}{d\phi^2}[/tex]

i am not sure how to approach this since the function is not given. Is there some assumption i am supposed to make about the function? like f(x,y) = xy or something?
    any help on the first couple steps would be appreciated

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

With a rather more transparent notation, let u be a function of the polar coordinates, U the function in Cartesian coordinates, related by:
    [tex]u(\rho(x,y),\theta(x,y))=U(x,y)[/tex]

With this notation, you would have lower case u's on your right-hand side of the identity.

You need to compute the partial derivatives of the radial&angular variables with respect to x and y.

4. Oct 5, 2006 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried the chain rule?

5. Oct 5, 2006 #4
    so [tex] \rho (x,y)= ((\frac{x}{cos \phi})^2 + (\frac{y}{cos \phi})^2)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]?

and [tex] \phi(x,y)=arctan(y/x)[/tex] is this correct?

6. Oct 5, 2006 #5
    to what would i apply the chain rule?

7. Oct 5, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, [tex]\rho(x,y)=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]

That ought to be obvious for anyone claiming to have understood Pythagoras' second most important theorem.

8. Oct 5, 2006 #7
    so after i compute these derivatives of the radial and angular components with respect to x and y i will have everything and just have to put it all together so it looks like the identity i am trying to show?

9. Oct 5, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, you must also use the chain rule on u.
    To give you a start on that:
    [tex]\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{x}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial{r}}{\partial{x}}+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{\theta}}\frac{\partial{\theta}}{\partial{x}}[/tex]
    and so on..

10. Oct 5, 2006 #9
    where your r is actually a rho i assume then? if so thanks for the help i should be able to solve this one

11. Oct 5, 2006 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, r is rho.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?