Differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI attempted to apply the Chain rule: dy/dx = dy/du X du/dx Subbing u for x^2, which made y = u^sinxI ended up with du/dx = 2x;and dy/du = ln(u)*cos(x)*(U)^sinxI know this isn't right, and all I've spent the past hour doing is confusing myself. I've searched my textbook, and online, and can't find anyting (that I understand) to help me. To be honest, I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to apply the chain rule.
Bananarama

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of y=(x^2)^sinx; using the chain rule.

Homework Equations

No other relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to apply the Chain rule: dy/dx = dy/du X du/dx
Subbing u for x^2, which made y = u^sinx

I ended up with du/dx = 2x;

and dy/du = ln(u)*cos(x)*(U)^sinx

I know this isn't right, and all I've spent the past hour doing is confusing myself. I've searched my textbook, and online, and can't find anyting (that I understand) to help me.
To be honest, I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to apply the chain rule

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with the way you have attempted it is that when you computed dy/du you did not write y entirely in terms of u, you left it in terms of u and x, but u and x are not independent. This is why your calculation isn't working you. You should replace x with ##\sqrt{u}## to do it properly.

There is a slightly easier way to do this, as well. Note that you can write

##x^2 = e^{\ln (x^2)} = e^{2\ln |x|}.##

Then, recall that ##(a^b)^c = a^{bc}## for real numbers a, b and c. This will give you a form that is easier to differentiate. (You'll want to use a different chain rule substitution, though).

Bananarama said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of y=(x^2)^sinx; using the chain rule.

Homework Equations

No other relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to apply the Chain rule: dy/dx = dy/du X du/dx
Subbing u for x^2, which made y = u^sinx

I ended up with du/dx = 2x;

and dy/du = ln(u)*cos(x)*(U)^sinx

I know this isn't right, and all I've spent the past hour doing is confusing myself. I've searched my textbook, and online, and can't find anyting (that I understand) to help me.
To be honest, I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to apply the chain rule

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
I can see a couple of ways to do this with the chain rule. One uses the multi-variable chain rule. The other require rewrite the function.

Multi-variable chain rule:
Let u(x)= x2 and v(x) = sin(x)

Then [itex]y=f(x,\,y)=u^v\,.[/itex]

Then use [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}\frac{du}{dx}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\frac{dv}{dx}\ .[/itex]

The single variable method:
[itex]\displaystyle y=(x^2)^{\sin(x)}=e^{2\ln(x)\sin(x)}\ .[/itex]

Now apply the chain rule. You will also need the product rule.​

Simpler, I think, than writing [itex]f(x)^{g(x)}[/itex] as [itex]e^{g(x)ln(f(x))}[/itex] is to start with [itex]y(x)= f(x)^{g(x)}[/itex] and take the logarithm of both sides: ln(y)= g(x)ln(f(x)).

Here, the function is [itex]y(x)= (x^2)^{sin(x)}= x^{2sin(x)}[/itex]. Then [itex]ln(y)= 2sin(x) ln(x)[/itex]. Then you can use the product rule to differentiate the right side using the product rule. Of course, the derivative of ln(y), on the left, is (1/y)dy/dx. After taking the derivative of both sides multiply through by [itex]y= (x^2)^{sin(x)}[/itex] to find dy/dx.

1. What is differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power?

Differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function that includes Sin(x) raised to a power. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems related to motion, growth, and decay.

2. What is the general formula for differentiating Sin(x) as a power?

The general formula for differentiating Sin(x) as a power is d/dx [Sin(x)^n] = n*Cos(x)*Sin(x)^(n-1). This means that you multiply the power n by the cosine of x and then subtract 1 from the power of Sin(x).

3. How is the chain rule used in differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power?

The chain rule is used in differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power when the function contains Sin(x) raised to a power of another function. In this case, you would use the chain rule to find the derivative of the outer function and then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

4. Can you provide an example of differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power?

Yes, for example, if we have the function f(x) = Sin(2x)^3, we can use the general formula and the chain rule to find its derivative. First, we apply the power rule, giving us f'(x) = 3*Cos(2x)*Sin(2x)^(3-1). Then, using the chain rule, we multiply by the derivative of the inner function, giving us f'(x) = 3*Cos(2x)*3*Cos(2x)*Sin(2x)^2 = 9*Cos(2x)^2*Sin(2x)^2.

5. In what real-world applications is differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power used?

Differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power is used in many real-world applications, such as modeling the growth and decay of populations, analyzing the behavior of mechanical systems, and studying the motion of waves. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems and make predictions.