1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation involving Sin(x) as a power

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the derivative of y=(x^2)^sinx; using the chain rule.

2. Relevant equations

No other relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to apply the Chain rule: dy/dx = dy/du X du/dx
    Subbing u for x^2, which made y = u^sinx

I ended up with du/dx = 2x;

and dy/du = ln(u)*cos(x)*(U)^sinx

I know this isn't right, and all i've spent the past hour doing is confusing myself. I've searched my text book, and online, and can't find anyting (that I understand) to help me.
    To be honest, i'm not even sure how i'm supposed to apply the chain rule

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

The problem with the way you have attempted it is that when you computed dy/du you did not write y entirely in terms of u, you left it in terms of u and x, but u and x are not independent. This is why your calculation isn't working you. You should replace x with ##\sqrt{u}## to do it properly.

There is a slightly easier way to do this, as well. Note that you can write

##x^2 = e^{\ln (x^2)} = e^{2\ln |x|}.##

Then, recall that ##(a^b)^c = a^{bc}## for real numbers a, b and c. This will give you a form that is easier to differentiate. (You'll want to use a different chain rule substitution, though).

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can see a couple of ways to do this with the chain rule. One uses the multi-variable chain rule. The other require rewrite the function.

Multi-variable chain rule:
    Let u(x)= x2 and v(x) = sin(x)

Then [itex]y=f(x,\,y)=u^v\,.[/itex]

Then use [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}\frac{du}{dx}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\frac{dv}{dx}\ .[/itex]

The single variable method:
    [itex]\displaystyle y=(x^2)^{\sin(x)}=e^{2\ln(x)\sin(x)}\ .[/itex]

Now apply the chain rule. You will also need the product rule.​

5. Sep 28, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Simpler, I think, than writing [itex]f(x)^{g(x)}[/itex] as [itex]e^{g(x)ln(f(x))}[/itex] is to start with [itex]y(x)= f(x)^{g(x)}[/itex] and take the logarithm of both sides: ln(y)= g(x)ln(f(x)).

Here, the function is [itex]y(x)= (x^2)^{sin(x)}= x^{2sin(x)}[/itex]. Then [itex]ln(y)= 2sin(x) ln(x)[/itex]. Then you can use the product rule to differentiate the right side using the product rule. Of course, the derivative of ln(y), on the left, is (1/y)dy/dx. After taking the derivative of both sides multiply through by [itex]y= (x^2)^{sin(x)}[/itex] to find dy/dx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook