1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of natural logarithms

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    I encountered a proof problem when I was reading up on the derivatives of natural logarithms' section. It gave a rule which said this : [tex]\text{For } a >0 \text{ and } a\ne 1 \text{,}\\\frac{d}{dx}(a^{u}) \ = \ a^{u} \ \ln{a\frac{du}{dx}}[/tex]

To prove it on my own, I made a few identities:
    [tex]a^{u}=y [/tex]
    [tex] u \ln{a}=\ln{y} [/tex]
    [tex] e^{u\ln{a}}=e^{\ln{y}} \text{ or } e^{u\ln{a}}=y[/tex]

Now taking the derivative of [tex]\frac{d}{dx}a^{u}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}a^{u}=\frac{d}{dx}[e^{u\ln{a}}][/tex] I obtained this result by substituting a^u for its identity.
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[e^{u\ln{a}}]=(e^{u\ln{a}}) \frac{d[e^{u\ln{a}}]}{dx}[/tex]
    Utilizing the chain rule, I obtained that. But, I do not know how to take the derivative of [tex]e^{u \ln{a}}[/tex] on the right hand side.
    Can anyone give me a simple explanation how to find the derivative of [tex]e^{u \ln{a}}[/tex] ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are getting the chain rule wrong. d/dx(e^(u*lna))=(e^(u*lna))*d/dx(u*lna). lna is a constant.
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    Sorry, accidentally wrote it wrong.
    \frac{d}{dx}[e^{u\ln{a}}]=(e^{u\ln{a}}) \frac{d}{dx}[u\ln{a}]
    [/tex] is what I meant to write. But, my concern is, how do I simply [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[u\ln{a}][/tex] ?
  5. Oct 24, 2008 #4
    What is ln(a)?
  6. Oct 24, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ln a is a constant. Just pull it out. d/dx(u*ln(a))=ln(a)*du/dx.
  7. Oct 24, 2008 #6
    A constant. I get [tex](e^{u\ln{a}}) \frac{d[u\ln{a}]}{dx}= (e^{u\ln{a}}*\ln{a}) \frac{du}{dx}= (a^{u}*\ln{a}) \frac{du}{dx}[/tex] which exactly matches the rule. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?