1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation under the integral sign

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am asked to compute d/dt of [tex]_{c}\int^{d}[/tex] ( [tex]_{a}\int^{t}[/tex] f(x,y)dx)dy for t [tex]\in[/tex] (a,b) for a problem involving differentiation under the integral sign.

[a,b] , [c,d] are in closed intervals in [tex]\Re[/tex]
    f a continuous real valued function on [a,b] x [c,d]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stuck because I don't really get what compute d/dt means in this context. Can someone explain to me what this problem is asking?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2
    Hi celtics2004!

The double integral defines a real-valued function of t, which turns out to be differentiable. So you can compute its derivative d/dt.
    To compute the derivative, you will need http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_under_the_integral_sign" [Broken] (as you mentioned) and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Mar 29, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is asking you to find the derivative of that function!
    [tex]\int_a^t f(x,y)dx[/tex]
    is a function of both t and y. I'm going to call that g(t,y).
    [tex]\int_c^d\int_a^t f(x,y)dx dy= \int_c^d g(t,y)dt[/tex]
    is a function of t only, say h(t). You are being asked to differentiate that function: dh/dt.

You can use the "fundamental theorem of Calculus", that
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(u)du= f(x)[/itex].

You can also use the fact that when you are integrating with respect to another variable, you can take the derivative inside the integral:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^b f(x,y)dy= \int_a^b \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x} dy[/tex]

5. Mar 29, 2009 #4
    Thanks for your replies. I think I may have figured it out but I'm not very confident in my solution as this subject is still a little confusing.

Let F(t,y) = [tex]\int^{d}_{c}[/tex] ( [tex]\int^{t}_{a}[/tex] f(x,y) dx ) dy.
    Then d/dt F(t,y) = d/dt [tex]\int^{d}_{c}[/tex] ( [tex]\int^{t}_{a}[/tex] f(x,y) dx ) dy.
    Using differentiation under the integral sign I get:
    d/dt F(t,y) = [tex]\int^{d}_{c}[/tex] d/dt ( [tex]\int^{t}_{a}[/tex] f(x,y) dx ) dy.
    Using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus I get:
    d/dt F(t,y) = [tex]\int^{d}_{c}[/tex] f(t,y) dy.
    Again using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus I get:
    d/dt F(t,y) = F(t,d) - F(t,c).

Does this make sense or did I screw up?

Thanks again for your help

6. Mar 29, 2009 #5
    The RHS not a function of y, since you already integrated y from d to c. It should just be F(t).

F is not the antiderivative of f with respect to y in this case, so the last step is not correct. The final answer is what you had before that (without the y on the LHS).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook