Differentiation with convolution operators

In summary, the conversation discusses computing the derivative of a function, F, which is defined as the product of two images, I and J, with a Gaussian kernel, W, using convolution operators. The question is whether the convolution operators can be treated as constants, given that the Gaussian kernels have fixed widths and do not depend on the transformation parameters, t. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that the convolution operators can be treated as constants and the derivative can be calculated using the convolution of the derivative of the Gaussian kernel with the original function.
anja.ende
Hello,

I have really been banging my head the whole day and trying to figure this derivative out. I have a function of the following form:

F = W * (I.J(t)) - (W * I).(W*J(t))

where I and J are two images. J depends on some transformation parameters t and W is a gaussian kernel with some fixed standard deviation and zero mean. * represents the convolution operator. Now, I want to compute the derivative of F wrt to the transformation parameters 't'.

So, I try the following:

[itex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} [(I . W*J(t)) - (W*I)(W*J(t))][/itex]

I can talk 'I' out as it can be treated as a constant. This gives (I think):

[itex]\frac{dF}{dt} = (I. W*J'(t)) - (W*J'(t)) . (W*I)[/itex]

Can I treat the convolution operators this way or is this wrong? The convolution kernels are fixed width Gaussians and do not depend on the parameters 't'.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Anja

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition is
$$(f \ast g)(t) = \int_\mathbb{R} f(\tau) g(t - \tau)$$
so with the appropriate smoothness conditions and all that, you can easily verify
$$(f \ast g)'(t) = \int_\mathbb{R} f(\tau) g'(t - \tau) = (f \ast g')(t)$$

What is differentiation with convolution operators?

Differentiation with convolution operators is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function, where the function is convolved with a kernel function. This allows for the calculation of derivatives of a function without explicitly finding the derivative formula.

What is a convolution operator?

A convolution operator is a mathematical function that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is represented by the symbol * and is commonly used in signal processing and image processing.

How does differentiation with convolution operators work?

Differentiation with convolution operators involves convolving a function with a kernel function, which results in a new function. This new function represents the derivative of the original function at each point. The process is similar to finding the derivative using the limit definition, but it is more efficient and can be applied to a wider range of functions.

What are the advantages of using differentiation with convolution operators?

One advantage of using differentiation with convolution operators is that it allows for the calculation of derivatives of functions that do not have explicit derivative formulas. It is also a more efficient method compared to using the limit definition of derivatives. Additionally, it can be easily applied to discrete functions, making it useful in signal and image processing.

Are there any limitations to differentiation with convolution operators?

While differentiation with convolution operators is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be applied to functions that are smooth and continuous. It also requires knowledge of the kernel function, which may not be readily available for all functions. Additionally, it may not always produce accurate results for functions with sharp changes or discontinuities.