1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differntiating a circle

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    How would I go about finding the derivative of x2 + y2 = 36.

I know it is a circle with radius 6. Is there a better way to find the derivative then:

y2 = 36 - x2
    y = (36 - x2)1/2
    y = 1/2(36 - x2)-1/2(-2x)
    y' = -x/(36-x2)1/2

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2
    Usually with cases like this where it is inconvenient to differentiate explicitly you can use implicit differentiation.

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another way is implicit differentiation:

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 36[/tex]

[tex]2x + 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{x}{y} = -\frac{x}{\sqrt{36 - x^2}}[/tex]

Are you familiar with implicit differentiation?

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4
    You may use implicit differentiation. If f(x) = g(x), then f'(x) = g'(x). Therefore, we can have f(x) = x2 + y(x)2 (where I have written y explicitly as a function of x) and g(x) = 36.

Hence, we can differentiate both sides with respect to x without isolating y. Differentiating the left hand side, we get 2x + 2yy' using the chain rule. On the right hand side, differentiation 36, a constant function, just gives us 0.

We can then solve for y': 2x + 2yy' = 0 so y' = -x/y. Notice that we have y' in terms of both x and y(x) instead of just in x; this is a hallmark of implicit differentiation. If you solve for y in terms of x and plug it in, you find that

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-x}{\pm\sqrt{36-x^2}}[/tex]​

depending on whether y was positive or negative. This is a more complete version of the answer you found by solving for y first.

6. Dec 14, 2008 #5
    Implicit differentiation. I have learned it, but obviously need to make more use of it. Thank you kind sirs.

7. Dec 14, 2008 #6
    On a second note, would it be better to leave the final answer in terms of x and y. Or should I solve for y and find y' in terms of x only. I prefer x/y but if the question asks for y' how should I answer?

8. Dec 15, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1: You titled this "differentiation of a circle" which makes no sense. You cannot differentiate a geometric figure!

2: You then wrote "find the derivative of x2 + y2 = 36" which also makes no sense. You can differentiate (both sides of) an equation but you have to specify with respect to what variable.

3: Everyone here has assumed you really meant "find the derivative of y with respect to x, assuming that x2+ y2= 36".

9. Dec 15, 2008 #8
    Sorry for the mix up. Yes I meant solve for dy/dx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?