How to Prove Differentiability in R2 Using the Derivative of a Function?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the differentiability of a function f(x,y) on the set U={(x,y) in R2:x2+y2<4}. The participants are unsure of how to generalize the proof to show differentiability on the entire set U. They also discuss the definition of differentiability on a set and how it relates to the function being differentiable at every point in that set. They suggest picking an arbitrary subset of U to prove differentiability and clarify that U is an open domain with no boundary points to worry about.
raghad
Let U={(x,y) in R2:x2+y2<4}, and let f(x,y)=√.(4−x2−y2)
Prove that f is differentiable, and find its derivative.

I do know how to prove it is differentiable at a specific point in R2, but I could not generalize it to prove it differentiable on R2. Any hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
raghad said:
I could not generalize it to prove it differentiable on R2

As far as I can see you are not asked to do that, you are asked to prove differentiability on U.

Likes raghad
As Svein said, you are not asked to prove differentiability on R2, you are asked to prove it on the given set, U. Now, what is the definition of "differentiable on a set A"?

HallsofIvy said:
As Svein said, you are not asked to prove differentiability on R2, you are asked to prove it on the given set, U. Now, what is the definition of "differentiable on a set A"?
I know the definition of "differentiable at a point" , but i am not sure of the definition of differentiability on a set. Does it have to do with end points? i am stuck in this question and your help is much appreciated

Find the derivative and decide where it is valid.

Svein said:
Find the derivative and decide where it is valid.
Can i pick an arbitrary subset of U and prove that the function is differentiable there then conclude that it is differentiable on U ?

Why not just pick any (x,y) in the domain U and see if it works there? U is an open domain so there are no boundary points U to worry about.

Likes raghad
A function is differentiable "on a set U" if and only if it is differentiable at every point in U!

Related to How to Prove Differentiability in R2 Using the Derivative of a Function?

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable in R2?

For a function to be differentiable in R2, it means that it has a well-defined derivative at every point in the 2-dimensional plane. This means that the function is smooth and has a continuous slope at every point, allowing for the calculation of tangent lines and rates of change.

2. How is differentiability in R2 different from differentiability in R?

Differentiability in R2 refers to functions that have two independent variables, while differentiability in R only has one independent variable. This means that in R2, we are dealing with functions that can be graphed in a 2-dimensional plane, while in R, we are dealing with functions that can be graphed on a simple number line.

3. What are the necessary conditions for a function to be differentiable in R2?

In order for a function to be differentiable in R2, it must be continuous at every point and have a well-defined partial derivative with respect to each independent variable at every point. This means that the function must be smooth and have a continuous slope in both the x and y directions.

4. Can a function be differentiable in R2 but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable in R2 if it is not continuous. Differentiability in R2 requires continuity, as well as well-defined partial derivatives at every point. If a function is not continuous, it will have discontinuities, which means there are points where the slope is undefined, making it impossible to calculate a derivative.

5. How is differentiability in R2 used in real-world applications?

Differentiability in R2 is used in many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows us to calculate rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, in two-dimensional motion. It is also used in optimization problems, where we need to find the minimum or maximum value of a function with two independent variables.