1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult computational statistics problem

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    I've got a tricky computational statistics problem and I was wondering if anyone could help me solve it.

Okay, so in your left pocket is a penny and in your right pocket is a dime. On a fair toss, the probability of showing a head is p for the penny and d for the dime. You randomly chooses a coin to begin, toss it, and report the outcome (heads or tails) without revealing which coin was tossed. Then you decide whether to use the same coin for the next toss, or to switch to the other coin. You switch coins with probability s, and use the same coin with probability (1 - s). The outcome of the second toss is reported, again not reveling the coin used.

I have a sequence of heads and tails data based on these flips, so how would I go about estimating p, d, and s?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you are describing is a so-called Hidden Markov Model. Here, the underlying state (dime or penny) follows a Markov chain with transition probability matrix
    [tex] \mathbb{P}= \pmatrix{1-s & s \\ s & 1-s} [/tex]
    However, the state is not observable---only the outcomes (H or T) of tossing the coins can be observed.

There are several useful tutorials available on-line: see, eg.,
    http://di.ubi.pt/~jpaulo/competence/tutorials/hmm-tutorial-1.pdf or
    http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~murphyk/Bayes/rabiner.pdf

This last source has a brief treatment of your problem, as an illustrative example.

4. Nov 27, 2014 #3
    Great I'll take a look at those! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted