1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult optimal cable cost analysis

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://snag.gy/z4LzZ.jpg

I was going through some old course work from when I was an undergrad and was unable to complete this one. If you could just provide me with the proper approach/steps it would be much appreciated. I know how to solve all of the tensions, but the cost analysis approach is confusing me.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi algar32! :wink:
    you should get an expression for the length, and an expression for the tension

multiply them together, that gives you the cost (as a function of x y and z, the coordinates of B)

then minimise it, probably using calculus …

show us what you get :smile:

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3
    How do I get an expression for length and an expression for tension? That is the part I am struggling with. Also, if I make the tension expression won't it have 2 variables in it? How can I handle that if I am trying to rref it? Any further steps/work would be appreciated.Thanks.

5. Feb 1, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the expression for the length is going to be a function of the unknown x and z position of the point B. You may not know what else if you don't write some equations.

6. Feb 1, 2013 #5
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  7. Feb 2, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

?? :confused:

can you type it out, please?​

8. Feb 2, 2013 #7
    You are making it more difficult than it has to be. You know that the forces of tension in the cables act along the cables, so ## \vec{T}_{AB} = b \vec {AB} = b(x, 4, z) ##, ## \vec{T}_{AC} = c \vec {AC} = c(-2, 4, -2) ##, ## \vec{T}_{AD} = d \vec {AD} = d(-3, 4, 3) ##, where ##b##, ##c## and ##d## are some positive constants. Letting ## \vec{T} = (0, -mg, 0) ##, we must have ## \vec{T}_{AD} + \vec{T}_{AC} + \vec{T}_{AB} + \vec{T} = 0 ##. Write this equation component-wise, and use Gauss's elimination to determine b in terms of x and z.

9. Feb 2, 2013 #8
    Okay thanks... Is this what you mean?

b(x,4,z) + c(-2,4,2)+d(-3,4,3)+(0,-981,0)=0

I don't see how I can solve that for x and z? Could you show this process? Was I supposed to put in any number (let's say 1) for b, c and d?

By doing this I will have the most cost effective rope based on the equation givin in the problem (length*tension=cost)?

Thanks.

10. Feb 2, 2013 #9
    You don't solve for x and z. You solve just for b as a function of x and z.

11. Feb 2, 2013 #10
    You say to use gaussian elimination, so I have just been setting up a few matrices and plugging them into the calculator and using rref (reduced row ef). I am still not getting a value for x and z. Would it be possible to show me what matrix I should be using? thanks.

12. Feb 2, 2013 #11
    I am unsure how to do this. Thanks.

13. Feb 2, 2013 #12
    b(x,4,z) + c(-2,4,2)+d(-3,4,3)+(0,-981,0)=0 is a system of three linear equations, where the unknowns are b, c and d (assume x and z are known). Use Gauss's elimination to find b, it will be a function of x and z.

14. Feb 2, 2013 #13
    Just to be clear. This has to be done manually, calculators won't do it. I recommend rewriting the equation as c(-2,4,2) + d(-3,4,3) + b(x,4,z) = (0,981,0), so that the b-terms are in the right-most column of the matrix, that will simplify finding b, requiring just two Gaussian steps.

15. Feb 2, 2013 #14
    Thanks. Here is my work:

x 4 z | 0 b
    -2 4 2 | -981 c
    -3 4 3 | 0 d

(3c/2)-d

x 4 z | 0 b
    0 2 0 | -1471.5 c
    -3 4 3 | 0 d

b - 2c

x 0 z | 2943 b
    0 2 0 | -1471.5 c
    -3 4 3 | 0 d

(x + z) b = 2943

What would my final answer be to optimize the costs?

16. Feb 3, 2013 #15
    Even assuming that the system is written down properly, I do not see how your steps would result in anything. I think you should review systems of linear equations.

Re writing down the system, observe that the equation c(-2,4,2) + d(-3,4,3) + b(x,4,z) = (0,981,0) is a vector equation; the entities in brackets are vectors, while the coefficients in front of them are numbers. A vector equation means that the same equation holds for each of its components. For example, taking the first component (X-direction), we obtain -2c - 3d + xb = 0. This is a linear equation for c, d, and b (x is assumed known). Writing the equations for the two other components, we obtain a system of three linear equations.

17. Feb 3, 2013 #16

rollingstein

Gold Member

One interesting outcome is x and z are always related by

x=-z

Unless having a tensionless chain is ok.

18. Feb 3, 2013 #17
    I just noticed that in #8 and later the equation is not correct. It should be c(-2,4,-2) + d(-3,4,3) + b(x,4,z) = (0,981,0).

19. Feb 3, 2013 #18

rollingstein

Gold Member

Yup. That was key. Now the weird x=-z constraint disappears.

We get:

nillchu.gif

Length^2 = x^2 + z^2 +16

Therefore we minimise the product:

(x^2 + z^2 +16)/(5*x+z+12)

(x,z)=(2.243,0.449)

Not sure if this is correct.
    Of course, I cheated using Wolfram. Analytically is another challenge. I'd love to see that minimization done by hand.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  20. Feb 3, 2013 #19

rollingstein

Gold Member

Not even sure how one could do those minimizations by hand. It'd require solving simultanously two quadratics in x and z.

21. Feb 3, 2013 #20
    That result is correct. Of course, the report requested must prove that this really is the point resulting in a minimal cost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook