Find tension with two cables at different angles

In summary, the problem involves a weight of 5000 N suspended by two cables, one horizontal and the other at an angle of 143 °. The object is at rest and therefore has zero acceleration. The tension of the first cable can be found by balancing the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions, with the horizontal component of the second cable's tension being equal to the tension of the first cable and the vertical component balancing the weight of the object. This can be solved using trigonometric functions.
gmuck

Homework Statement

A weight of 5000 N is suspended by two cables. The object is at rest. The first cable is horizontal and the second makes an angle of 143 ° with the first cable. Find the tension of the first cable.

Homework Equations

Erm...I know it's something with sin or cosin.

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher hasn't given us any equations that have to do with tension, so I am completely and utterly lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It's multiple choice and the possible answers are
4000 N
6640 N
8310 N
3340 N

Physics news on Phys.org
if the object is at rest, then accelersation is zero.
if accelaration is zero, then the net force is zero.

The tension is just the force exerted by the cables.

Have you made a drawing and applied the three forces working?

Indeed, there is some sin or cos involved. As mentioned above, the acceleration is zero. What does this imply about the vertical part of the tension?

if you break the problem into a horizontal and a vertical part, the sum of forces should be 0 in each of these.

in the horisontal, the force on cable 1 must be equal to the HORIZONTAL PART of the force of cable 2.

In the vertical the VERTICAL PART of cable 2 must balance gravity.

Agree?

Last edited:

FAQ: Find tension with two cables at different angles

1. How do I find tension with two cables at different angles?

To find the tension on each cable, you will need to use the equations for vector addition. First, draw a free body diagram of the system and label all known forces and angles. Then, use the equations to solve for the tension on each cable.

2. What information do I need to find the tension?

In order to find the tension on each cable, you will need to know the magnitude of the forces acting on the system and the angles at which the cables are pulling. This information can be obtained from a free body diagram or given in the problem.

3. Can I use trigonometry to find the tension?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to find the tension on each cable. You will need to use the equations for vector addition and trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for the tension.

4. Is the tension the same on both cables?

No, the tension on each cable will be different because the angles at which the cables are pulling affect the overall tension in the system. The tension can only be equal if the cables are pulling at the same angle.

5. Are there any assumptions made when finding the tension with two cables at different angles?

Yes, the equations for finding tension assume that the cables are massless and that the system is in equilibrium. If these assumptions are not met, the tension may not be accurately calculated.

Back