1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult Separable Integration Problem

1. Jul 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Q=-1*K(T)*(H*W)*(dT/dx)+((I^2)(p)(dx)/(H*W))

K(T)=(197.29-.06333333(T+273))
    H=0.01905
    W=0.06604
    I=700
    p=10*10^-6
    Q=some constant

Please separate and differentiate to solve for Q using variables of T and x.

Boundaries:
    T: Upper=T1 (constant)
    Lower=T0 (constant)

x: Upper=L (constant)
    Lower=0 (obv. constant)

2. Relevant equations
    a=dT/dx ----> a*dx=dT ----> integrate ax|=T|

3. The attempt at a solution

I plugged in all the values and tried to make common denominator to move dx to the Q side. But I could never get around getting rid of the dx in the numerator on the right side of the plus symbol in the original equation. Also, i wasnt sure whether to double integrate with boundaries for both integrals (was sort of weird)... Please help. Been working on this for a long time and cant figure out a way to manipulate it. Main issue is the two dx's and only one dT, so straight up integration wont work bc you would be integrating a dx when there is no dT left.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2
    Let me see if I get this right, your equation looks like ##Q=c_1K(T)\frac{dT}{dx}+c_2dx## where ##c_1,c_2## constants right? If yes , then you can ignore the ##c_2dx## term like it doesn't exist.

The reason is that if you take the ##\lim_{dx\rightarrow 0}## in both sides of the equation you ll end up with an equation that will be

##Q=c_1K(T(x))T'(x)## which is fairly easy to solve.

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3
    Where do you see somewhere where T(x). There is no function for that. Can only use the information given.

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4
    It has to be a function of x, otherwise ##\frac{dT}{dx}## is zero hence the whole equation is Q=0.

6. Jul 21, 2016 #5
    Okay thanks. I finished this problem before I posted it on here. I was just looking for a method that involved separation and integration. In my original solution (which was successful), I had to make a T(x) equation. I was trying to look for a method that didn't involve this.

7. Aug 5, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is that a correct statement of the problem as given to you? That isolated dx makes looks wrong, and I don't see where "separable integration" comes in. If you mean separation of variables, that is usually in the context of a differential equation involving one dependent variable and two or more independent. Delta2 proposes to ignore the dx, but I suspect a typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted