Fourier transform of integral e^-a|x|

In summary, the problem is that the integral doesn't have any boundaries, so the Fourier transform is impossible to solve.
RedDwarf

Homework Statement

I am supposed to compute the Fourier transform of f(x) = integral (e-a|x|)

Homework Equations

Fourier transformation:
F(p) = 1/(2π) n/2 integral(f(x) e-ipx dx) from -infinity to +infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is, that I do not know how to handle that there are no boundaries in the integral. If there were from minus to plus infinity it would be okay to solve (but then the transform would be irrational).
With the boundaries I would split the integral for the negative and positive x and get f(x)=2/a and therefore constant.
The Fourier transform would then only consist of a constant times integral(e -ipx) . As this integral only gives an infinite solution, I am rather confused.
Thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that f(x) is likely not supposed to be a definite integral, but a primitive function of ##e^{-a|x|}##. Either way, this is impossible to know without asking the person who constructed the problem.

Likes RedDwarf
Orodruin said:
I would say that f(x) is likely not supposed to be a definite integral, but a primitive function of ##e^{-a|x|}##. Either way, this is impossible to know without asking the person who constructed the problem.
This is what I think as well. If they meant the primitive function though, how could I solve it then?

What is the relationship between a function ##f(x)## and its primitive function ##F(x)##?

Likes RedDwarf
Orodruin said:
What is the relationship between a function ##f(x)## and its primitive function ##F(x)##?
The function is the derivative of the primitive function ##\frac{d}{dx} F(x) = f(x)##
Yet, I am not sure how this is helping me in this Fourier transform (sorry, I'm a bit slow today)

What can you say about the Fourier transform of a general function g(x) and its relation to the Fourier transform of its derivative g’(x)?

Likes RedDwarf
Orodruin said:
What can you say about the Fourier transform of a general function g(x) and its relation to the Fourier transform of its derivative g’(x)?
Ah, now I know where this is going, thanks!
The Fourier transform of the derivative of a general function is related to the function like so: ## \hat{g'}(x) = ip \hat{g}(x) ##.
In my case this would mean that I can look at the Fourier transform of the derivative, divided by ip:
##\hat{f}(x) = \frac{1}{ip} \hat{f'} = \frac{1}{i\sqrt{2p^2 \pi}} \int e^{-a|x|} e^{-ipx} dx = Const. \cdot \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|-ipx} dx##
I can split up that last integral (in order to get rid of that absolute value of x):
## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|-ipx} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{x(a-ip)} dx + \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{x(-a-ip)} dx = \frac{1}/{a-ip} + \frac{1}{a+ip} = \frac{2a}{a^2+p^2} ##
Combined with the constant from earlier:
## \hat{f}(x) = \frac{2a}{i p \sqrt{2\pi} (a^2+b^2)} ##
That should be it. Thank you so much!

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal into its individual frequency components. It converts a signal from its original domain, such as time, into a representation in the frequency domain.

2. How is the Fourier transform of an integral calculated?

The Fourier transform of an integral is calculated by taking the integral of the Fourier transform of the function. In this case, the Fourier transform of e^-a|x| is calculated by taking the integral of e^-a|x| in the frequency domain.

3. What is the significance of the absolute value in e^-a|x|?

The absolute value in e^-a|x| represents a symmetric function. This is important in the context of Fourier transforms because it results in a real-valued frequency spectrum, which is easier to interpret and analyze.

4. What does the variable 'a' represent in e^-a|x|?

The variable 'a' represents the scaling factor in the function. It determines the rate at which the function decays and is related to the width of the frequency spectrum. A smaller 'a' results in a wider spectrum and a larger 'a' results in a narrower spectrum.

5. Can the Fourier transform of integral e^-a|x| be calculated analytically?

Yes, the Fourier transform of integral e^-a|x| can be calculated analytically using the Fourier transform pair e^-a|x| <-> 2a/(a^2+w^2), where 'w' represents the frequency variable. This allows for quick and accurate calculations of the Fourier transform without the need for numerical methods.