Difficult UCM/friction question

• Thread starter floridaMAO
  • Start date
In summary: I am actually imagining the normal force to be 0...In summary, at a certain rotational speed, the cube will fly off the funnel if the normal force is less than the centripetal force.
floridaMAO
A very small cube of mass m is placed on the inside of a funnel rotating about a vertical axis (the central axis of the funnel) at a constant rate of v revolutions per second. The wall of the funnel makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between cube and funnel is [tex]\mu_s[/tex] and the center of the cube is at a distance r from the axis of rotation. Find the (a) largest and (b) smallest values of v for which the cube will not move with respect to the funnel.

For reference, this is problem 53 chapter 6 of Halliday Resnick Krane vol. 1.

Am I correct in thinking that friction, gravity and normal force are the only forces acting on the box? And that maximum v corresponds to minimum friction force (0?)? And that minimum v corresponds to maximum friction force ([tex]\mu_sN[/tex])?

If it helps, the answers to the above are (a)[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{g(\tan(\theta)+\mu_s)}{r(1-\mu_s\tan(\theta))}}[/tex] and (b) [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{g(\tan(\theta)-\mu_s)}{r(1+\mu_s\tan(\theta))}}[/tex] (from the answers in the back of my book :cool:). I'm hoping for an explanation of these answers. It might help to notice that the expressions inside the square roots are (a) [tex]\frac{g}{r}\tan(\theta+\tan^{-1}(\mu_s))[/tex] and (b) [tex]\frac{g}{r}\tan(\theta-\tan^{-1}(\mu_s))[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
u r somewhat correct, but not fully. consider the tendency of the box movement when the funnel is rotating slowly. the centrifugal force pressing the cube with the wall will be less and hence the friction will also be less and gravity will pull it down for slow enough force. so the friction will act upward for the lower limit of rot speed.
but for a large rot speed the centrifugal force will be large and the component of it along the the incline of funnel may 'beat' the gravity and pull it upward along the incline and friction will be downward in this case, i.e, for higher limit of rot speed the friction is downward.
so it is not the case of max or min friction. it is actually the case of direction of limiting friction along the incline.

floridaMAO said:
Am I correct in thinking that friction, gravity and normal force are the only forces acting on the box? And that maximum v corresponds to minimum friction force (0?)? And that minimum v corresponds to maximum friction force ([tex]\mu_sN[/tex])?

Static friction acts against relative motion. That cube could slip down the wall when the rotation is slow: then friction points upwards, parallel to the wall; or it would go up at too fast rotation: then the friction points at the opposite direction.

ehild

thinking about it again, for the case of maximum v, I am actually imagining the normal force to be 0...
I'm visualizing the funnel spinning too fast and the box flying off the plane entirely, which would correspond to N=0. For the case of minimum v, yes that's what I meant, maximal friction pointing upwards.

My justification: the centripetal force is provided by the normal and friction forces (gravity is perpendicular to the radius of rotation). Frictional force points outwardly and normal force inwardly, at all times, so Fc=Nx-Ffx (centripetal force is the normal force along the radial direction minus the friction along that direction). At a certain point, the centripetal force will have to become so great (meaning v is great, and N will have to be great to provide the force) that the y component of the normal force is greater than Fg, and thus the block accelerates off the plan into free-fall.

Seem logical?

No. Why don't you show a free-body diagram?

ehild

1. What is UCM and how does it relate to friction?

UCM stands for uniform circular motion, and it refers to the motion of an object moving at a constant speed in a circular path. Friction is a force that acts against the motion of an object, and it can affect the speed and direction of an object in UCM.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect UCM?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how much friction is present between two surfaces. In UCM, a higher coefficient of friction means that there is more resistance to the circular motion, which can cause the object to slow down or change direction more quickly.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in UCM?

Static friction refers to the force that must be overcome for an object to start moving, while kinetic friction acts on a moving object. In UCM, static friction can prevent the object from maintaining a constant speed, while kinetic friction can cause the object to slow down or change direction.

4. How does centripetal force affect UCM and friction?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In UCM, centripetal force is necessary to maintain the motion, and it can also affect the amount and direction of friction acting on the object.

5. What are some real-world examples of UCM and friction?

One example is a car driving around a curve on a road. The car is in UCM, and the friction between the tires and the road helps to keep the car on the road and control its speed and direction. Another example is a rollercoaster, which experiences UCM as it moves along the track, and friction plays a role in keeping the riders safe and controlling the speed and direction of the coaster.