Difficulty in analyzing automotive tire in workbench

What you are doing is not even close to a realistic analysis of an automobile tire under inflation loading or under contact loading. In a real tire, the tire cords carry most of the load, and the rubber is there just to glue the cord plies together and to prevent the air from escaping from between the cords. Have you looked into the literature on structural analysis of automobile tires, such as Tire Science and Technology. Early analyses of tires used membrane models which accounted for the effects of the tire cords. Later analyses used bending models, and finally, more recent models used detailed finite element. All these took into account the composite nature of the structure.

Hello Mech_Engineer,

I was able to sort out the problem related to the surface and tire contact.
My next step in the analysis is to check the stresses induced in the tire as it rolls on the ground. Can you advise me some steps to get started with that.

Thanks for all your help

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My feeling is you're better off making a more realistic model of the tire first, including the belts. Doing all this work to get the model working will have to be done again otherwise.

Hello Mech_Engineer,

My advisor first wants me to get a steady state rolling analysis to work and then I will add the reinforcements to the rubber.

That's why I asked for your help to get started on the analysis for rolling.

Thanks
Aman

Hello Mech_engineer,

I have successfully modeled the tire to a close approximation of the real scenario. Can you now please guide me through the process of steps needed to analyze its rolling on a surface to see the stress variation

Thanks
Aman

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well it depends on what conditions you want to analyze it under. You need to consider things like angular speed (centripetal acceleration), applied torque, and load it's supporting. You're going to have to decide how you want to approximate ground moving by as well.