Difficulty of getting a job as a community college math professor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ease of obtaining part-time teaching positions and the difficulty of securing full-time positions. The speaker also mentions the low pay and lack of benefits for teaching courses. There is a difference in opinion on the ease of obtaining these positions, with one person stating they are easy to get and the other stating they are difficult to obtain due to a high number of applicants.
Hodgey8806
Hello,

I've come to the point where I realize: I'm supposed to teach. I've tutored for years, taught small groups, etc. Also, I want the summer to pursue my other interests. I don't want to do research or anything; just teach.

I was just curious as to how competitive these jobs are particularly for any math up to Calculus 3. What would you say?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to teach part time, they are fairly easy to get. Full time, they are very difficult indeed.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to teach part time, they are fairly easy to get.

At probably $2500 or so per course, with no benefits (retirement plan, health insurance, etc.).

So in my area, if you have a masters or phd, teaching a course is as easy as registering with the college and signing up. Unfortunately, the pay is very low (between 2k and 3k per course depending on the college). Because there are more than enough people willing to take these low paying adjunct positions, there are very few full-time positions.

jtbell said:
At probably $2500 or so per course, with no benefits (retirement plan, health insurance, etc.).

Which is why they are easy to get.

I don't think they are so easy to get. They get more applicants for those part time positions than they can take. Many people work without benefits. I think even the part time teaching positions are very hard to get.

What is the job outlook for community college math professors?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for community college professors in general is expected to grow by 9% from 2019-2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.

What qualifications are necessary to become a community college math professor?

Typically, a community college math professor must have a master's degree in mathematics or a related field. Some institutions may prefer or require a doctoral degree. In addition, teaching experience and a strong understanding of pedagogy are important qualifications.

How competitive is the job market for community college math professors?

The job market for community college math professors can be competitive, as there are often a limited number of positions available and a large pool of qualified candidates. It may be helpful to have a strong academic record, teaching experience, and a unique area of expertise to stand out in the job market.

What are some challenges of being a community college math professor?

Some challenges of being a community college math professor may include managing a heavy workload, working with a diverse student population, and keeping up with the constantly evolving field of mathematics. Additionally, there may be limited opportunities for career advancement and job security may depend on enrollment and budget changes within the institution.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting a job as a community college math professor?

In addition to obtaining the necessary qualifications and experience, networking with current community college math professors and staying updated on job openings at different institutions can increase your chances of landing a job. It may also be beneficial to attend conferences and present research, as well as gaining experience in teaching and mentoring students.