Difficulty of getting a job as a community college math professor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Hodgey8806
Messages
140
Reaction score
3
Hello,

I've come to the point where I realize: I'm supposed to teach. I've tutored for years, taught small groups, etc. Also, I want the summer to pursue my other interests. I don't want to do research or anything; just teach.

I was just curious as to how competitive these jobs are particularly for any math up to Calculus 3. What would you say?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to teach part time, they are fairly easy to get. Full time, they are very difficult indeed.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to teach part time, they are fairly easy to get.

At probably $2500 or so per course, with no benefits (retirement plan, health insurance, etc.).
 
So in my area, if you have a masters or phd, teaching a course is as easy as registering with the college and signing up. Unfortunately, the pay is very low (between 2k and 3k per course depending on the college). Because there are more than enough people willing to take these low paying adjunct positions, there are very few full-time positions.
 
jtbell said:
At probably $2500 or so per course, with no benefits (retirement plan, health insurance, etc.).

Which is why they are easy to get.
 
I don't think they are so easy to get. They get more applicants for those part time positions than they can take. Many people work without benefits. I think even the part time teaching positions are very hard to get.