Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Diffraction Experiment - Comparing theory with my data

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I am analysing the data for the diffraction experiment I have just done (laser source at two slit diffraction grating) and have got the graph (similar to this http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/Phys273/williams06/TwoSlit.jpg" [Broken]).
    However all the minima for my data have been shifted towards the origin when compared to the theoretical plot. I have been racking my brains but can't think of any convincing reasons why this could happen other than the fact that I got bad results.
    The minima are also not at zero but I am less concerned about this since I am assuming this is just down to not getting perfect intensity.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Have you double-checked your values for slit separation and wavelength? (These would obviously affect the width of the pattern.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook