Diffraction grating and wavelengths

In summary, a spectrometer was used to analyze a light source with a screen-to-grating distance of 50.0 cm and a grating with 5000 slits/cm. Spectral lines were observed at angles of 12.98, 19.0, 26.7, 40.6, 42.4, 63.9, and 77.6. By finding the sine of each angle and using the equation d*sin(theta) = m*lambda, it was determined that there are three different wavelengths present in the spectrum of this light source. These wavelengths are calculated by finding the values of m for each angle, with the values being 1 for angles 12.98 and 19
dimpledur
diffraction grating URGENT

Homework Statement

A spectrometer is used to analyze a light source. The screen-to-grating distance is 50.0 cm and the grating has 5000 slits/cm. Spectral lines are observed at the following angles: 12.98, 19.0, 26.7, 40.6, 42.4, 63.9 and 77.6. How many different wavelengths are present in the spectrum of this light source? FInd each of the wavelengths.

Homework Equations

d*sinthetha =m*lambda

d=0.0002cm

The thing I am really confused about is the value "m". Which values would I use for this question, because I know m=0,+/-1,+/-2 etc..

I just don't understand which values to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Find the sin( theta) of all the angles.
For same d and lambda, some sin(theta) must be equal to m*sin(12.98). Find m values. Repeat the same thing for other wavelengths.

since there are 7 different angles, does that mean there will be seven different wavelengths?

rl.bhat said:
Find the sin( theta) of all the angles.
For same d and lambda, some sin(theta) must be equal to m*sin(12.98). Find m values. Repeat the same thing for other wavelengths.

I do not understand what you are trying to say here.

I know d, I do not know λ or m. How can I solve for two unknowns here? Your statement is very confusing.

No. Not necessarily. Find the sine of all angles.

I still don't really understand how to find the values of m.. For some reason this is really confusing

Will you please write down sine values of all the angles. Then I will tell you how to find m.

sin12.98=0.2246
sin19=0.3257
sin26.7=0.4493
sin40.6=0.6508
sin42.4=0.6743
sin63.9=0.8980

sin12.98=0.2246
sin19=0.3257
sin26.7=0.4493
sin40.6=0.6508
sin42.4=0.6743
sin63.9=0.8980
These four belong to the same wavelength. Because other three are multiple of 0.2246. And the remaining two belong to another wavelength.

rl.bhat said:
sin12.98=0.2246
sin19=0.3257
sin26.7=0.4493
sin40.6=0.6508
sin42.4=0.6743
sin63.9=0.8980
These four belong to the same wavelength. Because other three are multiple of 0.2246. And the remaining two belong to another wavelength.

Alright, so there is a total of 3 different wavelengths? I think I got that.

However, when calculating the wavelengths, would sin12.98, have m=1
would sin 19 have m=1 too?
same goes for sin40.9, m=1?

Sorry for intruding here again (I am working on the same problem) but I think that 12.98/19=1, 26.7/40.6=2, 42.4/77.6=3 and 63.9=4

?

edit: I have checked it out, and as far as I can tell this is correct.

Last edited:

dimpledur said:
Alright, so there is a total of 3 different wavelengths? I think I got that.

However, when calculating the wavelengths, would sin12.98, have m=1
would sin 19 have m=1 too?
same goes for sin40.9, m=1?
For last one m = 2
And for 77.6 degree, m=3.

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device with a series of closely spaced parallel lines or grooves etched onto a surface. These lines act as tiny slits that cause light to diffract, or spread out, into its component wavelengths.

How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, the light waves are diffracted and interfere with each other. This interference creates a pattern of bright and dark spots called an interference pattern. The spacing between the lines on the grating determines the angles at which the different wavelengths of light will be diffracted, allowing for the separation and measurement of different wavelengths.

What is the relationship between diffraction grating and wavelength?

The relationship between diffraction grating and wavelength is based on the principle that the angle at which light is diffracted is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the light. This means that shorter wavelengths will be diffracted at larger angles, while longer wavelengths will be diffracted at smaller angles.

How is a diffraction grating used in scientific research?

Diffraction gratings are commonly used in scientific research, particularly in spectroscopy. The ability to separate and measure different wavelengths of light allows scientists to analyze the composition of substances, identify elements, and study the properties of light. Diffraction gratings are also used in other fields such as astronomy, where they can be used to analyze the light emitted by stars and galaxies.

Can diffraction gratings be used with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, diffraction gratings can be used with other types of waves such as sound and water waves. The principle of diffraction and interference remains the same, but the spacing of the grating lines may need to be adjusted for the different wavelengths of these waves. This allows for the study of various properties of these waves, such as frequency and wavelength.