1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction grating experiment

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    I did an experiment where a red laser went through a diffraction grating
    The distance between the diffraction grating to the screen is 10cm (x)
    Later I measure the distance from the central dot to the first dot (4.5cm) (y)
    after this I measure the distance from the central dot to the second dot(13.1cm) (y)

I used this formula to calculate the wavelength of the red laser: d*tan(y/x) = m λ
    where m = 0,1,2... and d = 1.67*10^-6 in this experiment.

The problem which I've got is that I got two different wavelengths for the same red laser
    692.4nm and 765.6nm.
    My question is this, should I add these two wavelengths and then divide it by two to get the "average" wavelength or should I just say in the experiment that the wavelength "765.6nm" is a random error; thus, we should not take it to the consideration?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    any one please, if this is a stupid question then please tell me

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation you quoted is wrong. The correct equation is d sinθ = mλ.

What you did was to replace sinθ by tanθ=y/x, so you calculated the wavelength from the formula d y/x = mλ. But sinθ can be approximated by tanθ only for small angles, that is, when y<<x. That was not valid in your experiment. Find θ=arctan(y/x), and use the formula d sinθ = mλ to get the wavelength.

ehild

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4
    thank you so much

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome.:smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted