Diffrent definition of Lebesgue integral Have you ever seen this?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lysangc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Definition Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
lysangc
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am studying 'ANALYSIS by Lieb and Loss '...

usually lebesgue integral is defined in terms of simple function

But

In this book, integral is defined in terms of Riemann Integration !

[tex]\int f d\mu : = \int_0^{\infty} \mu (\{x \in X : f(x) > t \}) dt[/tex]
of course, [tex]\mu[/tex] is measure, f is measurable, non-negative

LHS -> general (lebesgue) integration
RHS -> (improper) Riemann integration

Have you ever seen this definition in any other books?

If so, which book ? I need Reference .. HELP ME PLEASE!

-------------------------------
P.S. Sorry for poor english..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hewitt, Stromberg (Real and Abstract Algebra, GTM 25) define it as a sum over a dissection of ##X## instead of an integral. They give quite an elaborated introduction to Lebesgue integration. On a quick view I haven't found your exact definition, and I do not understand it, as it looks that it double counts a lot. Nevertheless, Hewitt, Stromberg are a good recommendation.

For a basic understanding see
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/omissions-mathematics-education-gauge-integration/